Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

About the fish again, I have a kiddie pool that's about 20 feet in diameter and a foot deep. It has just been sitting out and is really dirty, could I let it get overtaken with duck weed and then put guppies in there(during warm weather) And not have to worry about any thing? like filter, aeration(because of the plants) and feeding? There are already frogs in it.

A fast producing, small fish that is very hardy is the fathead minnow. Another variety is the rosy-red fathead minnow. They live up to 2 years if they have spawned and 4 years if they haven't. They can raise 3 batches of babies during the breeding season. They are a feeder fish or bait fish. Apparently gold fish can carry some diseases?

Yea, I wouldn't do goldies, those fat head minnows sound good. How about my plan for there living quarters, think it would work?

Last edited:
True but wouldnt the duck weed after being taken home and washed then put in your pond lose any poison from its system (like bought veggies) especally if you are going to grow it a while to get more before you feed. it..?Just wonder.
Many poisons and heavy metals are persistent even after washing. (even in bought veggies)

Yea, I wouldn't do goldies, those fat head minnows sound good. How about my plan for there living quarters, think it would work?

I don't know. I'm still researching it myself. The pool sounds fine to me, I'd probably bury it to the rim for insulation against heat/cold. Depending on where you live, if you have racoons or fish eating birds (herons and others which are similar) with long legs, the fish could be in danger of being consumed by other than what you intend.

I'd get a basic aerator and it won't work in the winter but should be fine spring-fall. I dug my duck pond 3 feet deep because that is the stated minimum for over wintering fish.

It wouldn't work for me if I needed an aerator ect. So I'll just have to try and see what I can get out of it, but now expecting the worse I guess. And as for the predators, the dog takes care of them just fine. Thanks for the comments.

It wouldn't work for me if I needed an aerator ect. So I'll just have to try and see what I can get out of it, but now expecting the worse I guess. And as for the predators, the dog takes care of them just fine. Thanks for the comments.

You could probably set up a pile of bricks or rocks or something in the middle of your pool and put a sprinkler on it for an hour or so per day. If you have a garden, you could scoop out some of the water first so it wouldn't overflow. ?

I feed my horses beet pulp. A 50 lb bag of beet shreds goes a long way among 3 horses. A bag lasts me several months. Its high in fiber and supposed to help prevent colic. ( for ruminates )

Has anyone fed this to chickens? Is it healthy for them?

Devon

Back
Top Bottom