Home Garden Grown Vegetables

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SouthernBYChickens, Jan 5, 2012.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Which types of vegetables do you find your chickens enjoy best? Growing a large garden this year to sell produce on the side and I would like to plant extra for the chickens. Just make a quick list if you don't mind. Thanks!!

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    OK I sell veggies. I use no chemicals. Chickens like watermelon, cantaloupe, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, squash, mustard greens, collards, kale, carrot tops & carrots mainly cut up, spinach, & all the weeds you pick out of the garden. I usually cut the melons & cucumbers in half & freeze it before serving on hot days. My chickens love to chase & eat grasshoppers that's by far their favorite. They like broccoli but so do I & I usually only give them the ones that bolt. They will eat the leaves off almost all plants.
    I don't feed them tomatoe leaves, potatoe leaves or potatoes uncooked are green. They like beans & peas but I only serve them cooked. Maybe, someone can add more.

3. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Quote:Everything listed above, plus I would add radishes and turnips...super easy to grow and my chickens love the green tops. Nasturtiums, leaf lettuce (grows really fast), dandelions (my chicken's favorite for sure).

4. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    Thanks for asking this, I was just thinking about it this morning!

I plan on doing an extensive garden this year with things that we will eat and I will can, but am planning on "extras" for family/friends and the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by