Home Garden Grown Vegetables

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
Which types of vegetables do you find your chickens enjoy best? Growing a large garden this year to sell produce on the side and I would like to plant extra for the chickens. Just make a quick list if you don't mind. Thanks!!

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
OK I sell veggies. I use no chemicals. Chickens like watermelon, cantaloupe, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, squash, mustard greens, collards, kale, carrot tops & carrots mainly cut up, spinach, & all the weeds you pick out of the garden. I usually cut the melons & cucumbers in half & freeze it before serving on hot days. My chickens love to chase & eat grasshoppers that's by far their favorite. They like broccoli but so do I & I usually only give them the ones that bolt. They will eat the leaves off almost all plants.
I don't feed them tomatoe leaves, potatoe leaves or potatoes uncooked are green. They like beans & peas but I only serve them cooked. Maybe, someone can add more.

DancingHen

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Central Oregon Coast
Quote:Everything listed above, plus I would add radishes and turnips...super easy to grow and my chickens love the green tops. Nasturtiums, leaf lettuce (grows really fast), dandelions (my chicken's favorite for sure).

TheBrumstead

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Hobart, IN
Thanks for asking this, I was just thinking about it this morning!

I plan on doing an extensive garden this year with things that we will eat and I will can, but am planning on "extras" for family/friends and the chickens.

Top Bottom