Home Grown Eggs Taste Awful, Why?

#1California Chick :

You should NOT wash the eggs before you put them in the refrigerator. The "bloom" on the egg prevents bacteria from getting into the eggs. You also may be picking up "off flavors" from other things in your refrigerator.

And eggs don't actually have to be refrigerated. They will stay good for several weeks on your counter, unless it is REALLY hot.

Good Luck!

i heard that refrigerating eggs kills off selminella (spelling????)​

Do you know anyone locally with chickens who might share some eggs. Try theirs and see what you think. This might help you narrow down whether it is the feed you use, the eggs themselves, something the chickens might be getting into, etc.

Quote:
Wait, so I can give the kids store-bought eggs for Christmas, right? I'm just making sure. I'll tell them it's all legal, because I had a lawyer.

Them- "Is this it? Eggs? We have eggs in the coop."

Me- "But these are made by ELVES, sweetie."

Them- "Uh, mom, eggs are made by chickens."

Me- "Shut up before I get my lawyer. Merry freakin' Christmas."

Hey, I just thought up my Christmas card for this year!
...... (scampers off to find a pen and paper)......

lmao that's sooo funny!!! u must be a comedian or something...ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

idunno.gif

A lot of help right?
lau.gif

All of this may be repeat info, but I haven't read all your responses. Hopefully it will help.
smile.png

I'd store them without washing them first. Wash at time of use.
Also, avoid meat proteins. They get that from bugs and the layer feed.
If your chickens eat the following things, their eggs will taste bad or sour: Onions, garlic, asparagus, artichoke. (and avocado and rhubarb can actually hurt the hens).

It shouldn't be just mental. Eggs that taste notably bad couldn't just be you. Hope some of these work for you!

Quote:
Refrigeration will slow down the growth of salmonella. Thorough cooking kills it. The health dept here requires cooking to 140*F to serve eggs in a health care facility, for that reason.

Imp- I have to eat my soft eggs at home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom