Home Grown Eggs Taste Awful, Why?

Quote:
If you have to choke down the eggs, there's something wrong. That's simply not how homegrown eggs are supposed to taste. Instead of masking the taste, find out what's imparting the bad taste to the eggs.

I can't imagine what might be causing that. I think I'd try a different feed. We give ours small amounts of meat and fish now and then (not a lot, and not all the time) and it has no impact on the egg flavor at all. Maybe if you're giving them A LOT of that stuff?

Have you eaten homegrown eggs before? Maybe they're just a lot stronger tasting than you're used to?

Quote:
If you have to choke down the eggs, there's something wrong. That's simply not how homegrown eggs are supposed to taste. Instead of masking the taste, find out what's imparting the bad taste to the eggs.

You're so right Kezzie. That was for about 2 weeks 6 years ago. It was all in my head. I just looked at the fresh eggs and my stomach turned. I got an EE last year and had to think about it for a few minutes before I cracked that first green egg. Lol. Now I look forward to green eggs and ham.

Imp- Maybe it's genetic, My farm girl grandmother would not eat eggs because she said they expanded in her mouth and tasted like rubber.

there is nothing wrong with washing eggs. we have washed eggs for about 40 years, now.. Never had a bad egg from the refrigerator. Our refrigerator is for preserving food,,,not poop..

the only eggs we do not wash are the ones we are going to incubate.

most people do not keep eggs long enough for ,,what so many people are afraid of,,,bacteria to grow..

I do not feed my chickens fish.. especially raw fish.. if they are egg layers..

I agree with Kezzie. The only difference between homegrown and store bought is that homegrown eggs have a slightly eggier and fresher taste. They are definitely better and the difference is noticeable, but the key word is "better". There is no way the taste is so different that it shocks your taste buds, and they definitely shouldn't gross you out.

Maybe your like my wife and its all in your head. It took her a few days to get past the fact that they "came out of their butts!" To which I responded, "You mean unlike the ones in the store that are made by elves." She's fine with them now.

UGCM

If the texture of the egg is a concern after you fix the flavor you might try adding a little more water (or milk)to your scrambled eggs or omelets. As for fried eggs, add some herbs.
smile.png

If you are referring to fried eggs or scrambled.. what are you using for oil in the pan ? It might be the oil you are tasting.. we had a brand of oil that made the eggs uneatable..

Thanks for all your input.

I have not been overly feeding them meat protein, and I will stop now to see if there is any difference. I am also upping the amount of leafy greens I give them, as my garden starts to become harvestable.

I have eaten home grown eggs before and never had a taste issue, perhaps a change in the feed product; however; being in a small town I only have one choice at the grange. I'll explore this more.

As for a gross out factor, well I'm not the city slicker I was brought up to be; I know the eggs come out of the hen's cloacas, it could be mental; but; I'm pushing on through to eat them.

I'm hoping my two young 4 month olds will do better......

I have a question for the welsummer person. At what age do the welsummers typically start laying? I have two - 10 week olds and was just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom