Home Log Cabin Bator by Request

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
This bator does work-I've hatched and incubated in it. It's made from pine interior cabin siding and a plexiglass full-view window. Any technical details, you may have to wait till my DH can answer them. I helped him, but he's the one who does wiring at our house, LOL.
DCP_6469.jpg

View Hole for Video Camera linked to TV:
DCP_6412.jpg

DCP_6471.jpg

Originally two courses of siding high, it was too hard to keep the temps steady so DH cut it down:
DCP_6295.jpg

DCP_6291.jpg

DCP_6298.jpg

DCP_6299.jpg

Had to put a sheet metal guard in front of the bulb or it would get way too hot when the turner was tilted toward it.
DCP_6297.jpg

Cynthia,
I just love what you have done with this bator.

A couple of questions:

Is the L-shaped rod sticking out the right side (slide 1) what you use to turn the eggs with? Is it connected to the PVC in the inside?

Is the bator made of pine siding only? Is it sealed with something on the inside?

Was the window originally a window or did you just use a sheet of plexiglass cut to size?

Is that an aluminum tray on the bottom for easy clean up? Do you remove the turner and then place the eggs on the nonskid mat in the tray to hatch?

Slide 3--what is the wooden attachment on the end of the PVC (right side)?

What are the external dimensions? Can you tell I want to make one?
smile.png

I really like your set up for adding water to your sponges with out opening the lid and the camera attached to the TV---WOW--that would be more fun than a barrel of monkeys for my kids.

Thanks SO much for posting these picks!!

That L-shaped rod is for the wafer thermostat, to adjust it from the outside. The PVC has an elbow that comes through the other side to turn the eggs.
The pine siding is not sealed on the inside except at the joints with waterproof caulk. You certainly could, though. I will have to seal the underside of the lid before we use it again because in the humidity, one of the joints tended to buckle. Once it dried out after the last use, it straightened out again.
That is a sheet of plexiglass, and it's two sheets, put together with 100% clear silicone. It helps alot with heat loss. It was originally a single sheet, but we had to put a cover on the window or it lost too much heat just because of the thin plexiglass.
You know, that wooden thing was something the deceased previous owner of my house had in his woodworking supplies. His family left tons of stuff and it just holds a PVC pipe or a dowel of the proper size perfectly. I have no idea the real purpose of it.
I'm thinking the external dimensions were about 22" square, maybe slightly more. It's only about 7" high. The red sponge holders were just a storage system for misc hardware that was on the wall in our bsmt when we moved in. It has a bracket that you screw into the wall and the red container hangs on it. You can cut the plastic bracket to any size you want. I use one in a coop for an oyster shell holder, too. Very versatile.
That aluminum tray is for easy cleanup. It is one that is made to go in the bottom of an oven and you can buy them just about any grocery store cheap. and yep, for hatching, we take out the turner by removing the exterior elbow/handle and the pipe slides out. Then we place the eggs on the pan. You really need to be sure that chicks can't reach the lightbulb, though. They go for the worst possible thing, just like kids!
The camera is set up to view through the hole left when you remove the turner handle.
My DH designed the entire thing on his own. We did move the thermostat to where it is now-it had been on the opposite wall, but now it's by the sponges and works better.
Glad you like it. Take the ideas and run with them!

****oh, thanks about the wallpaper! I loved it for my little cottage in the woods. I haven't tired of it yet.

Last edited:
That's OK! I just want one that really works and I don't have to spend $600 dollars on.....plus yours is PRETTY and could be used as a home accent when not in use.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom