Home made auto feeders and waterers.

I really like that. I hate using standing water because it gets dirty so easily and this looks like it's not messy at all.
How would you keep them from freezing in Michigan?
It might be easy with just one cup, but multiples would take a little engineering to rig a heat source unless you heat a large area

Last edited:
I've had a lot of problems with freezing water here. I would usually go out to the coop multiple times a day and remove the ice or replace the water and it got tiring pretty quick. I didn't have much of a coop and run last winter, as compared to now. I have two separate coops now and the run is in the process of being shielded with tarps and wood to help block the wind from blowing in the run and making the birds colder. I'm only covering 2 or 3 of the 4 walls though. I'm also looking into the idea of putting a temporary slanted roof on the run so the snow can run off and doesn't go into the run. We had a very mild winter this year, as compared to the one we are suppose to get this year. I probably won't imply these ideas until springtime or summertime of next year, at the very earliest. I am mainly focusing time on winter prepping the coop and run to make the chickens a bit more confortable. Most of the northern part of the state has gotten 3+ inches of snow already and it's apparently coming this way.
I have a lot of supplies like I said. I found a lot of aquarium heaters that someone was throwing away and I don't know if those would be any use to me or not but I do have the option of electricity in my coop. I never really use it but there's a power strip with a switch. I used it mainly last winter with a regular lightbulb on a timer for extended "daylight" hours.

I've had a lot of problems with freezing water here. I would usually go out to the coop multiple times a day and remove the ice or replace the water and it got tiring pretty quick. I didn't have much of a coop and run last winter, as compared to now. I have two separate coops now and the run is in the process of being shielded with tarps and wood to help block the wind from blowing in the run and making the birds colder. I'm only covering 2 or 3 of the 4 walls though. I'm also looking into the idea of putting a temporary slanted roof on the run so the snow can run off and doesn't go into the run. We had a very mild winter this year, as compared to the one we are suppose to get this year. I probably won't imply these ideas until springtime or summertime of next year, at the very earliest. I am mainly focusing time on winter prepping the coop and run to make the chickens a bit more confortable. Most of the northern part of the state has gotten 3+ inches of snow already and it's apparently coming this way.
I have a lot of supplies like I said. I found a lot of aquarium heaters that someone was throwing away and I don't know if those would be any use to me or not but I do have the option of electricity in my coop. I never really use it but there's a power strip with a switch. I used it mainly last winter with a regular lightbulb on a timer for extended "daylight" hours.

I live in lower Michigan. This is my first year with chickens. Check out this thread with my waterer for winter (complete with aquarium heater).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-very-easy-heated-waterer-for-under-20-bucks

For an automatic waterer I just had the thought today that you could hook a toilet float valve onto the water supply and set it to where it'll keep the pan full and there you go, done. I am also working on plans to also make that a heated waterer as well. not quite sure on the logistics of it though. We'll see how it goes. lol

For an automatic waterer I just had the thought today that you could hook a toilet float valve onto the water supply and set it to where it'll keep the pan full and there you go, done. I am also working on plans to also make that a heated waterer as well. not quite sure on the logistics of it though. We'll see how it goes. lol

Yes, there are lots of plans on the web using the toilet float valve. You just need to make sure that the water line doesn't freeze if it's outside in a cold climate.

For the heated waterer check the link in the post above yours. It's one I made. Easy as can be and inexpensive too!

That works fine until it get much below freezing

Exposed, pressurized water lines don't do well in colder climates

See that's what I was thinking myself but would still like to figure out a way to make it work. Like I said still in the beginning stages of development being only thought up a day ago. I'm hoping I can figure out a way though. It's make my morning routine alot easier and shorter.

I really appreciate everyone's input! I probably won't start experimenting with these until the weather warms again. We just had our first big freeze yesterday and it was about 19 degrees last night. I really like the PVC ideas because they seem fairly easy to work with. I bought an aquarium at a garage sale for like a dollar or so and I had originally planned on using it for maceration skulls from animal bones (taxidermy hobby) but haven't dug it out yet. I would like to use it in my setup. I went out this morning and everyone's water was frozen. It took considerably longer to do my morning rounds because the outside hoses were already frozen too and I had to lug everything inside to the bathtub to clean it. 5 separate waterers to dethaw isn't exactly something to look forward to every morning.. I am sure once I have something next winter the birds will really appreciate it..

Back
Top Bottom