Home made automatic coop door question

So I hooked up my old laptop power supply and it makes the one relay click on its own and the motor obviously moves when it clicks. When I press the limit switch it stops clicking. The other limit switch does nothing at all. Humm??

The limit switches don't control the motor direction they just stop it from moving when they are open. The 120v relay pulls in one 12v relay when energized and the other 12v relay when it's not energized. If you connect a switch in place of the photo cell you can energize the 120v relay to get the motor to spin the opposite way.

JT

The limit switches don't control the motor direction they just stop it from moving when they are open. The 120v relay pulls in one 12v relay when energized and the other 12v relay when it's not energized. If you connect a switch in place of the photo cell you can energize the 120v relay to get the motor to spin the opposite way.

JT
Ok yep sorry I left that out. I was trying to get the limit switches figured out first. I hooked the red photo cell wire to the 120v relay. They I just ran the white and black to a cord and plug in on the wall. Now I have to push the one limit switch and when I hold it down it starts and stops by itself and that’s it

Last edited:
CACA5311-B3C6-4584-833A-1011D6F38D28.jpeg

Ok yep sorry I left that out. I was trying to get the limit switches figured out first. I hooked the red photo cell wire to the 120v relay. They I just ran the white and black to a cord and plug in on the wall. Now I have to push the one limit switch and when I hold it down it starts and stops by itself and that’s it

I don't understand what your saying. It looks like you have the photo cell connected correctly but I can't see which terminals it is actually connected to.

Start with the photocell does it switch the 120v relay when you cover it up and when exposed to light does it release the 120v relay?

JT

Noting has changed from the other post. The motor starts and stop by it’s self. Ruins for a split second then stops and continues this pattern till I unplug the cord. The only diff is now the photo cell is hooked up and now it doesn’t run till I press the limit switch and hold it. Following??? Maybe I can take a video

Noting has changed from the other post. The motor starts and stop by it’s self. Ruins for a split second then stops and continues this pattern till I unplug the cord. The only diff is now the photo cell is hooked up and now it doesn’t run till I press the limit switch and hold it. Following??? Maybe I can take a video

If you just connect the motor to your 12vdc power supply does it run forever? And if you reverse the connection does it run forever the opposite direction?

JT

Great thread and info, awesome schematics jt! I love fried Chicken but maybe it'd be a good idea to throw a fuse in this system.... Especially with all the trial and error, and the long term these motors get tired or something binds causing extra current flow....

Back
Top Bottom