home made bator temp question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Littlecimarron18, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Soooooooooooo i made my bator a couple weeks ago, it works! but i plugged it in 2 days ago to monitor the temps before i put my eggs in, yesterday when i checked the temp was 96 and when i checked just now it said 103. am i doing something wrong, and can i fix this? OR will the eggs be ok in that variation?

2. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    96 again!

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    103 for short periods of time is ok. My bator would go from 95 to 103 and sometimes 106!

4. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    woot Thanks.

Yay. ill set the eggs then.

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    do you have a fan in it?it will help stablize and even the temps in the bator,plus if you put in a bottle of water that helps also,do you have a water wiggler?

6. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    i put in a computer fan just like miss prissy. i dont have a wiggler.... yet? i dont have a thermometer that would fit one so i didnt get one. What does the water bottle do? warm or cool water in it?

7. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    i always put in warm I run it over my hand untill you cant feel cold or hot that should be about 98 degrees,water wont change temps as fast as air so it helps stableize the temp in the bater

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Water bottle with warm water acts like a heat sink and helps the temps stablilze. Never use cool water, always about 100 degrees.

9. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    ok cool beans. in goes the waterbottle
    do i ever need to refil it?

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just place a water bottle in there with warm water and it can just stay. Never have to touch it again. Make sure it can't leak around the top or it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by