Weak trilling peeps on an early internal pip. Hoping for guidance.

Jojociita

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2023
I have a new problem 🥺 (set up at end of post) - Its day 18 of a 9 chick incubation, and someone has internally pipped(VERY EARLY) as of 2 hours ago, but is very VERY sporadically weakly peeping… more of a weak trill actually. I don’t know who it is and I’ve never heard such a weak sad little sound and I’m very much worried. I can’t get a good recording of the sound but it’s a very soft peep with… vibrato? I’m pushing human ideas on this but it sounds weak and sad but I don’t know WHO it is! No one has externally pipped (or internally that I know of) but I worrry about opening the bator to candle and find the sad peep. Should I give it a shot?😔 Poor little one is 3 days early to be pipping internally, and the temp/humidity has stayed constant at 99.8-100.2f & 45-50%.

I haven’t the slightest who it is, and all the eggs were viable and wiggling now. My last little single guy hatched malpositioned and miraculously made it without assistance after 36 hours from internal/external (simultaneous) pip. He had a distended tummy and belly bottom but acted otherwise ok— he passed within 16 hours.

I’m running a diy still air incubator with an IoT set up to keep the temp between 99.5 and 100.5, humidity has been stable between 45% - 50%, hand turning 3 times daily, switching directions each day as to not harm the chaleza (I can’t spell, apologies). I’m just not sure since I’m still quite new to this and I don’t know if I’m panicking too early or this is something that is an actual concern.

And guidance is appreciated. 💜🐣

Update, I located her. They all just went into lockdown this morning so that definitely makes me worry. After much back and forth I decided to do a quick candle as no one else had externally (or internally) pipped. I started with who I thought it might be and she was the third test. Immediately started peeping when I picked her up. I’ve never candled a pip before and her air sac is a bit small (even though I kept the bator a bit less humid than normal). Im guessing one of those is a toe..?🥲 Either that or she has two heads. 🤨regardless of toe or headcount… she’s back in the incubator in and in lockdown with her egg siblings. I’m keeping a close eye on her and the others.

Still unsure as to why she pipped already when the others are a day or so off. I’ve hand-turned them all as well as rotated them in the bator since it’s a diy still air. Here’s hoping 🥺 IMG_2165.jpeg

Last edited:
the tiny peeps you heard when you heard them are entirely normal, as chicks use it to co-ordinate their hatching as soon as they've broken into the air sac. Just leave them alone to hatch; you can do harm and are not helping the process by interfering and turning them.

Thank you. I let her be and around 7pm Est 8/17 she pipped but not much else when I went to sleep at 4am. 8:30am this morning she was beginning her zip and by 9:45 she was out!! Loud as can be! She’s all fluffed up and preening now.. when she’s not sleeping the other 85% of the time or peeping for the other bit. Her siblings are still a day or so before they even pip internally so she’s in her brooder with toasty and non toasty spots, tiny bit of water to be safe (taught her how to drink). She’s quite responsive but she’s mostly just exhausted and sleeping. Considering my first hatch was the 36 hour baby who only made it 16 hours out of his shell— this little one was FAST in comparison.

All of this seeming normal? I may put a mirror in there so she’s not lonely until her siblings come along. I made her a little hideaway with feathers. Thank you all again. BYC has been invaluable.View attachment 3639015View attachment 3639016View attachment 3639018

Great to hear the chick made it! Yes they are exhausted from the hatch and sleep a lot first couple of days. The absorbed yolk provides all the sustenance they need for a couple of days so don't worry if they don't eat much during this time.

Back
Top Bottom