Home-made chick starter necessary!

Lins_BE

Songster
Jan 3, 2018
Belgium
Hello everyone,

I know you are all thinking I should buy a bag of chick starter and i do understand all the reasons why.

My problem is that I live in Belgium and i can't seem te find an organic, soy- and cornfree chick starter anywhere. I thought i found one, but then it seemed they did have soy in it. I have access to worms of all kinds and sizes and am willing to go get the ingredients needed and will pay the extra cost , but it seems hard to find a good recipe...

I hope someone can help me get started. I am expecting 36 chicks.

Do you use Pinterest at all? I have been able to find good recipes for chicken feed, dog feed, to feed my family all on there... the search function for these sorts of things seems to be a bit more on point than Google. I have some reasonable adult feed recipes, but the needs of chicks are different.

Some people just don't like the idea dea of soy or corn in their chickens food. Some don't like onions and garlic fed to their chickens. As long as the chickens are getting the nutrition they need its all up to your personal preference. You do you.

Soy and corn will not hurt chickens one bit. Give them real chick starter, please.

I do not like the tone of your answer, I already said in my first message I understand why you would suggest chick starter and not homemade feed, but I do want to do my research. This is not contributing to the question I was asking. I will not start making my own feed if I can't find one that I am positive it will do for my little ones. I want healthy strong chickens and will not do anything to harm them.

Altough I am open to any suggestion that people make when they have read the studies about soy I do doubt that that is what you did or you wouldn't suggest me giving an oestrogen bomb to those innocent little chicks. I will not feed my children soy or store bought corn, so I will not feed my chicks these either. Same goes for corn because it is very hard to find a feed around here that hasn't got the GMO corn in it.

Thank you for your reply but any helpful/polite comments are more appreciated.

Do you use Pinterest at all? I have been able to find good recipes for chicken feed, dog feed, to feed my family all on there... the search function for these sorts of things seems to be a bit more on point than Google. I have some reasonable adult feed recipes, but the needs of chicks are different.

Thank you for the tip, I do have an account but never use it. I'll give it a try.

If you are willing to spend the money and time sourcing the ingredients, why not just source the chick starter from somewhere else in Europe? It will still be work, but less work than sourcing all the appropriate ingredients. Especially the vitamins/minerals.

You are totally correct and I am doing research on that path too, just don't want to waste time if I can't find any in the time frame i need it. :)

Thank you, this was really helpful!

Back
Top Bottom