Home made dog food?

I would if I could but I honestly don't have the time to make his food that often. I will look into supplementing with raw though and maybe feed it to him when I can.
I am going to be pressure canning the food so I don't have to make it as often. I am pressure cooking whole chickens right now to the point of the bones disintegrating (I'll remove any that don't). That way they will still provide some of the calcium. Also going to include some chicken livers and gizzards.
He does get raw bones from the butcher and chicken feet when we have them.
when feeding raw, I spent maybe 45 minutes a month packing food. After that, it was simply pull out a bag every morning to thaw. You'll spend more time working to can his food then it will actually take to do the raw. If someone called to say that they were doing a butchering, come get scraps, I'd pick them up and spend maybe 15-20 minutes dividing into bags.

It's much healthier to just give him those chicken carcasses raw. But you can't feed just chicken. You'll need at least 4 proteins, more is better.

I need to start feeding my dog a diet low in sugars because she is having trouble with yeast and grain-free and Limited ingredient diets have not helped. I came across a raw that seems easy to do that and consist of hamburger, boiled eggs (with shells and all) and you add some type of oil (a product called lickochops) and Dinovite. Supposedly those two products combined with the hamburger and eggs will provide all your dog needs. I'm going to try it and see if it helps her.

I agree with dainerra, and I wouldn't do that either. That's going to result in nutritional deficiancies. If you feed a real raw diet, it has no sugar. Fed in variety a raw diet supplies all you need. meat/bone/organ. Everything is there, with maybe the exception of fish oil for omegas. JUst FYI, check out this site for some raw info, and forums of other raw feeders. http://preymodelraw.com

You may want to get a great book "Dr. Greg's Dog Dish Diet" by Greg Martinez, DVM. He is a big proponent of homemade dog food, provides recipes for balanced diets, how to address diets for dogs with special dietary needs, etc.

My friend has been making her own dog food for a long time and so when I got a puppy I started that too. I don't really measure, throw it all in the crock pot, and freeze about 4 days worth and keep,out 4 days worth. I find longer than that it doesn't smell great so I throw it out to the ducks and they love it. I throw is some mixture of the following
Carbs-
Oats,quinoa, mixed grain wild rice, lentils, sweet potato, squash, some comb of that
Protein-
Canned beans that are rinsed and low sodium, nuts of some sort, flax or chia seed, chicken thighs, liver or other organ meat that's on sale, canned fish including sardines (my dog won't eat it with fresh fish except salmon)
Veg-
Carrot, celery, green beans, broccoli, really whatever I have on hand

I throw it all in the crockpot with mostly water, maybe a splash of broth. My pup loves it and she started out sickly when we adopted her and a picky eater. My friend's dogs are way older than the standards for their breeds and are super healthy with shiny coats and great, healthy mouths. Find some recipes on line if you need measurements, but I wing it and my mini dachsund is healthy as can be.

Back
Top Bottom