Home-made duck feed recipe?

mypoorducky, those leaving you critical comments are doing so for a good reason. It's common sense not to have pets you can't feed, even if it's only temporary. Food is not optional at any time for living creatures. Love for pets cannot keep starving ones alive.

Okay, I took care of dumped domestic dusks and geese in a city park for years and years. Most times proper waterfowl feed was not an option due to costs. There were A LOT of birds, none dumped by me, mind you. They could forge for food in a large pond and on limited land, but we have four seasons here and that greatly limited what they could find during the cold months. They often got bread from those visiting the park, but bread has precious little protein and that's what is most important.

Here's what I mostly fed them--whole corn, bird seed, cat or dog food, mixed bird seed, scratch, cracked corn, oats and thrift store bread. (Also, for a while, a grocery store was giving me the lettuces from the salad bar they threw out every night.)

Whole corn provides much needed body heat in cold weather. Cracked corn often does not have protein in each piece, because only a small part of a corn kernel has the protein--the center part on the bottom of the kernel.

Cheap bird seed is often the best because it usually has a lot of milo and corn.

Scratch, which at one time was being sold in the grocery store, had cracked corn and wheat. The geese loved wheat! It apparently depends, though, where you live what will be in the scratch. Someone in another state once told me their scratch was filled with millet! Millet is like gold here, not something found in scratch. Ducks and geese love millet.

Feed store oats were whole or crimped. Crimped tended to float in water, while whole tended to sink. It wasn't a favorite of some birds, but hungry birds definitely ate it. I once read in an old waterfowl book that it was great for feathering.

Cat or dog food was a much appreciated source of high protein. It's actually too high for waterfowl, but that would be a concern mostly with captive ducks, not with free-ranging ones. For example, too much protein when fed to some growing birds can cause health problems such as angel or dropped wings. This is particularly true with Muscovy ducks. At least one of your photos looked like Muscovy ducklings, too. But, I personally would choose cat or dog food, particularly cat food, for birds that have little else to eat.

Bread has carbohydrates and wheat is best, but feeding only bread gets you malnourished young birds, often crippled or starved to death. Lettuces have some protein, too, but not enough to use as an only feed.

That's something you seriously have to keep in mind--if your domestic duck or ducklings don't get enough food, they will starve to death. That is a sad and bad way to go and totally preventable. Also, when your ducklings can fly, if they are capable of doing so, they will fly away, if they have the strength, if they are not getting enough food where they are. They don't have to be migratory birds to fly to nearby locations, such as ponds and rivers . . . or somewhere, anywhere where ducks are being fed by someone.
I feel you misunderstand. I am not starving my pets; they eat plenty. I am just here to find out how to make them a meal that I can both make large batches of and be confident that it reaches their nutritional needs. I am sure my ducks see no reason to fly away from the warm comfort of their home to the cold, hostile outside world.

As for the critical comments, I do appreciate them, however I do not find them relevant or helpful in any way. Many just seem to be attempts at being snarky or parroting things I already know, over providing any actual assistance. I 100% completely intend on keeping my ducks, and even if I didn't, I would not have any realistic way to give them away. I do not claim to be an expert on duck keeping, but I have learned much about taking care of ducks over the past few months, and unnecessarily critical comments over simple questions just give me even less reason to return to this site. I hope you will understand. :(

Unfortunately, the Muscovy duckling you may have seen in my photos, has already passed, due to a very stupid mistake of mine I made during my earliest days of duck keeping. I now keep only Khaki Campbells.

For the rest of your comment, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! I'll definitely be saving this and putting it on my next shopping list! :wee

I feel you misunderstand. I am not starving my pets; they eat plenty. I am just here to find out how to make them a meal that I can both make large batches of and be confident that it reaches their nutritional needs. I am sure my ducks see no reason to fly away from the warm comfort of their home to the cold, hostile outside world.

As for the critical comments, I do appreciate them, however I do not find them relevant or helpful in any way. Many just seem to be attempts at being snarky or parroting things I already know, over providing any actual assistance. I 100% completely intend on keeping my ducks, and even if I didn't, I would not have any realistic way to give them away. I do not claim to be an expert on duck keeping, but I have learned much about taking care of ducks over the past few months, and unnecessarily critical comments over simple questions just give me even less reason to return to this site. I hope you will understand. :(

Unfortunately, the Muscovy duckling you may have seen in my photos, has already passed, due to a very stupid mistake of mine I made during my earliest days of duck keeping. I now keep only Khaki Campbells.

For the rest of your comment, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! I'll definitely be saving this and putting it on my next shopping list! :wee
Sorry, I did misunderstand. I really thought you did not have any money at the current time to feed them, and I have sadly seen from my years in the park what happens to malnourished or starving domestic waterfowl.

Also, most of us have made stupid mistakes while caring for pets. You learn and go on . . . and try to forgive yourself.

Yes, there are lots of different things ducks will eat. Balanced waterfowl feed is an option, but not for everyone. Best of luck with your ducks. 🙂

Here are some things that you can get at the dollar store that you can feed them and make in batches. But large batches tend to go bad quickly enough to make it wasteful.

Peas- these are dried and have to be cooked to be useful and does have nician in them.
Oatmeal- again cook it to make it the easiest for them but you don’t have to like the peas.
Tuna- amazing sources of protein and great options for vitamins.
Check the pet food isle some sell large cans of a basic cat food which actually works better for ducks than expensive stuff. You can mix this with cooked rice which can help stretch out your supply longer. If you have herbs things like parsley, oragino, basil can be super helpful to mix in to get other vitamins in. You don’t need a lot either.

Avoid breads it makes the ducks feel full but won’t give them anything they need.

When I raise ducklings in the winter I add things like this to my feed for more things that they might not be able to get. But if you provide a meat source like canned tuna or canned cat food and add these things you might be able to make a much more complete nutritional value for your ducks plus it will be have more nutrients.

Hopefully some of that is available for you or an option.

I know this was a random previous post. And I wasn't involved and why am I here reading random threads. But, I wanted to say I get you.

People need companionship, it's just how it is. I know sometimes it seems like if you can't 100% afford all the best stuff for your pet you shouldn't have it. But commerical food for lots of animals can be expensive at its best, and at it's cheapest can actually be horrible for your pet. (Usually cats and dogs, lots of dye and fillers). I have been to a farm when puppies were literally vomiting because the food they were being fed was not balanced.

When I kept ducks as a kid we did use duck feed. But! We also dug up worms. Dug a hole and filled it with water for the ducks. And gave them veggies. Id say rather then try to make them something in bulk and easy.

Just put in work. Go outside, dog for bugs and insects, make sure they are safe obviously. Go to a open area and let them forage there. Go to a river and idk find some stuff there.

Not a experienced duck raiser! I have done it ALOT as a child due to a school project. But I was also poor and used food stamps living with a single mother who didn't have a job. So you have to get creative.

Hope things are going well :D

I know this is kind of old thread & @mypoorducky may no longer be coming to the forum or in need of help. I came across this because I was searching about oats for ducks.

But I'm surprised no one mentioned getting some nutritional yeast at the grocery store to make sure the ducks are getting enough niacin.

And since I'm here & curious & it may help the OP or others, is Multi-Grain Cheerios ok for ducks? Also, what about plain old Corn Flakes. My Mom used to eat it but passed away so I have couple boxes of it but I don't eat cereal very often. When I do mix some in with my other cereal.

Is that something that @mypoorducky could get and then mix with some frozen peas. And what about squash, cucumbers or other types of produce. How about salad mix? Not sure about stores in your area @mypoorducky but couple stores in my area mark down items including salad mixes. I bought 3 heads of Romaine lettuce for .25 & it lasted 2 weeks. I use a lot of lettuce on my sandwiches. lol My ducks won't eat it though. Any of those items should be allowed with food stamps I think.

And good for you @mypoorducky for weathering the storm so to speak & staying on the thread to continue trying to get answers to your question. I know your don't want people criticizing you and telling you what you should/shouldn't do but from their point of view they are just looking out for the ducks who are after all dependent on you & you alone. All humans should be more concerned about the welfare of ALL living beings on our planet. So try to understand their point of view and they need to understand yours. But please continue to engage on the forum.

I know this is kind of old thread & @mypoorducky may no longer be coming to the forum or in need of help. I came across this because I was searching about oats for ducks.

But I'm surprised no one mentioned getting some nutritional yeast at the grocery store to make sure the ducks are getting enough niacin.

And since I'm here & curious & it may help the OP or others, is Multi-Grain Cheerios ok for ducks? Also, what about plain old Corn Flakes. My Mom used to eat it but passed away so I have couple boxes of it but I don't eat cereal very often. When I do mix some in with my other cereal.

Is that something that @mypoorducky could get and then mix with some frozen peas. And what about squash, cucumbers or other types of produce. How about salad mix? Not sure about stores in your area @mypoorducky but couple stores in my area mark down items including salad mixes. I bought 3 heads of Romaine lettuce for .25 & it lasted 2 weeks. I use a lot of lettuce on my sandwiches. lol My ducks won't eat it though. Any of those items should be allowed with food stamps I think.

And good for you @mypoorducky for weathering the storm so to speak & staying on the thread to continue trying to get answers to your question. I know your don't want people criticizing you and telling you what you should/shouldn't do but from their point of view they are just looking out for the ducks who are after all dependent on you & you alone. All humans should be more concerned about the welfare of ALL living beings on our planet. So try to understand their point of view and they need to understand yours. But please continue to engage on the forum.
Actually, people gave a lot of advice regarding proper nutrition and also niacin needs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/home-made-duck-feed-recipe.1502434/post-25146604
The OP no longer has ducks and rehomed them to a farm. There are a few threads the OP started with proper care questions and concerns. They were always pointed in the right direction and given solid advice.

Actually, people gave a lot of advice regarding proper nutrition and also niacin needs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/home-made-duck-feed-recipe.1502434/post-25146604
The OP no longer has ducks and rehomed them to a farm. There are a few threads the OP started with proper care questions and concerns. They were always pointed in the right direction and given solid advice.

Ah I didn't see all the other posts, just this one. And then got sidetracked from my search by reading this thread.

Knowing the whole story does help. Reading just this thread was reading out of context of the whole situation.

Back
Top Bottom