"home" makeover for broody and chicks

claraserena

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Well after two unsuccessful attempts to move our broody, I am resigned to her having the eggs hatched where she is, in the coop. I am headed out there now to fix here area so it will be safe for the chicks. Her “pen” is 3 old wire milk crates on their sides. This is covered by a board. Unfortunately her place is under the most popular roost so the board gets messy.
The wire crates will not keep a chick in so I plan to line them with 6 inch high pieces of cardboard. I should be able to do this around her entire area, and then keep the board on. I will also change the pine shavings. What else should I be thinking of? Does 6” sound OK? She has water and food and there (hasn’t eaten much). I know that a couple of days after the hatch she will be up and about and things could get crowded them. I really want to move her and the chicks to their own house/pen. When would be the best times to do this? The last time she was broody she was in our house and care was pretty easy.

I would waite to move her after the eggs hatch. Then you might be able to move her to a more comfortable place. Right now, all she needs is to be comfy. Not too hot, not drafty..and clean. After the hatch, as long as her babies are with her, she should settle in most anywhere.

Thank you! I was just out cleaning and "chick-proofing" her pen. And two chicks are half-way out--lots of peeping!

Back
Top Bottom