Home Mixed Feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by donniedarko, Oct 23, 2012.

1. donniedarko

donniedarko Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Hi All,

I just wanted to touchbase and see if anyone out there mixes there own feed for a small flock of ducks?

Currently I buy duck grower finisher at the local feed store, but its been hit and miss for what they have in stock. Also, the price has risen up to $22.00 a bag. A little steep from where it was 2-3 years ago, not complaining, but it does make me question what other options are available when coupled with an inconsistent supply.

I have the ability to buy a large variety of Chicken feed, oats, wheat, corn ect... So I was looking for how I might be able to mix my own feed.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. donniedarko

May 19, 2010
    Hi Miss Lydia,

I took a look at both links but I wasn't able to find any mixing values or ratios.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm sorry Celtic has changed her website and I couldn't find it either. What i am doing is buying wheat, whole oats 7way scratch, split peas and mixing it in a large tote, I use Flock Raiser for my reg feed, I mix the grains and feed half and half and feed, keeping my FR separate till mixed. I can't give you ratios but I'm sure someone can just have to find out who, I'll see what i can find out. you may find some info here..
    http://cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms.webs.com/tipsonraisingwaterfowl.htm

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  5. sherrik9

sherrik9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Lake Tapps, WA
    Here I am again with another silly question. The only split peas I know about are those you use to make soup out of, is this what you are talking about?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes I haven't been able to find them in large quantities I just buy them at the grocery store make sure it's split peas[little green ones] I'm sure you probably know this but they also like frozen peas thawed in some water makes a great treat. and it's not a silly question.

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I did change the site sorry all, in the middle of rewriting the grains section.

Updated, and will continue to updated it as we go through winter and breeding season. The page can be found here: http://www.celticoaks.com/around-the-farm/feeding/

its located under the Around the farm tab

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  8. donniedarko

May 19, 2010
    Any preference between wheat and oats :)?

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks C looked everywhere but there.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you can get both and at reasonable prices, why not try them. I use both. I can get 50lb bags of each under 20.00 and mixing them with the 7way makes it go along way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by