home remedies

*Can't call it a 'favorite' by any definition--but, my mom used to swab our sore throats with 'tincture of benzoin' when we were kids. IF YOU LIVED THROUGH the swabbing, the sore throat would be gone usually by the next day.

Last edited:
One of my favorites is from my deceased grandfather, it might be slightly inappropriate though. For a sore throat/cold you take a big spoon full of honey, it coats your throat. Then after the honey, take a shot of whisky so that you wont feel the pain. It always makes me laugh when I think about it.
For an ache or pain in your arm or leg, have someone punch you on the arm/leg that isnt hurting, then you have a new pain and forget about the original pain.
Mods-I think we should make this topic a sticky topic.

d.k :

*Can't call it a 'favorite' by any definition--but, my mom used to swab our sore throats with 'tincture of benzoin' when we were kids. IF YOU LIVED THROUGH the swabbing, the sore throat would be gone usually by the next day.

no matter how nasty I would have killed for some of that last week!​

My wife takes elderberry extract when she feels like she's coming down with something. Seems to work, she seldom gets sick, even a simple cold.

Quote:
I forgot, my great grandfather gave all the babies a small bottle of Crown Royal whiskey to dab on the gumbs for teething, worked like a charm.

When I have a sore throat I like hot lemonade sweetened with honey, sometimes I add ginger. The combination of heat, honey and lemon seems to work wonders, and the ginger helps too.

Ginger is good for colds and upset stomachs, especially pregnant tummies. Mint is also good for digestive upsets.

Chicken soup with lots of garlic.... can't make it with any chickens I know.

When you first get a cold or flu, put on pajamas or sweats, and get a gallon of Gatorade and a gallon of water. Put both by the bed. Put every single blanket in the house on the bed, and get under 'em. Don't come out except to go to the bathroom. Stay there for 24 hours. Then, wash all the blankets, which will be a fetid tunnel of sweat and armpit stink...

The idea is, your fever helps your immune system work and keeps the viruses from reproducing as efficiently, so by holding the heat in you make a sort of artificial fever. It's always worked for me.

You can get rid of a sore throat by gargling with salt water, and lesser known, a mix of 1/1 water and vinegar. It is hard to get a child to do it, but I've found that if you can get the child with a sore throat to eat a dill pickle it works just as well.
Rachel

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom