1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

home remedies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by js8cop, Oct 15, 2011.

1. js8cop

js8cop New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    any one has natural home remedies to give the flock every once in a while to keep them healthy

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have noted that a lot of members use home remedies, but what I have found is that there is no substitute for using the right products for the job. A lot of basic care items for chickens are not very expensive, and often seem to be cheaper than Home/natural cures.

An example of this is with worming your flock. A number of people will use DE to control worms. My experience is that using Wazine at 6 to 8 dollars a bottle is way more effective, and even with following up with a product like Ivermectin at a cost of 3 or 4 dollars, has been the only way to guarantee that birds have been wormed.

Any number of other cures seems to really work out the same way.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Letting them have access to some grass and/or other dark leafy greens will help them to be healthier than if they only eat a commercial layer feed.

4. Whispering_Raven

Whispering_Raven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    I'm an Herbalist and own/operate an Organic Medicinal Herb Farm in Middle Tennessee. I have several homeopathic items that I use for my chickens. Here are the most common you should always have on hand. If you need something more specific, feel free to PM me and I'll give you some idea.

1. Immune Booster: 3 tbsp. Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother placed in the water feeder once a week.

2. Stinky Birds: I make a dry shampoo with with a cup of Baking Soda, 1/2 c. Steel Cut Oats, 1 tbsp. Lavender Flowers, 1 tbsp. of Powdered Rose Petals. Sometimes I use Rosemary, Chamomile, Orris Root, Basil, Clove, Nutmeg.....Whatever I feel like using at the time. DO NOT USE CINNAMON! IT BURNS! Sift all ingredients together and store in a jar. For use: Take a piece of cheese cloth, dip in mixture and "pet" the chickens with it. They will shake off any excess.

3. For Injury: 1/2 C. Hempseed Oil infused with Calendula Flowers, 1/8 c. of Aloe JUICE, NOT butter! 10 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil. 1/2 tsp. of grated beeswax. Melt the beeswax using a double boiler.DO not microwave it. You loose some of the healing properties. Once the beeswax is completely melted, let it stay of the hot pot and mix the carrier oils together and add the aloe juice. Using an electric mixer, add the beeswax and whip until somewhat frothy. Add the Rosemary EO and stir gently. Store in a small jar.

Hempseed Oil & Calendula Promote Healing of Skin
    Aloe Juice Reduces Inflamation
    Rosemary EO is an Anti-Biotic
    Beeswax creates a sealing agent

4. For Worm Prevention: Pumpkin, Coconut, Shredded Carrots

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by