Home Schooling and Raising Chickens

Hi AF!
We homeschool our 3 kids too. I pursuaded my husband, against his better judgment, to let me "raise a few meat birds for 6 weeks and then it will be all done so the kids can see where their chicken comes from". I got into more than I bargained for, for a number of reasons. First of all I ordered from Ideal and since the birds hatch date was February 26, it would be cold when they arrived and so instead of six I decided to order 8, figuring that a couple wouldn't make it. They sent a couple spares bringing the total up to 10 and then filled the rest of the space with "chicken peanuts" and sent along 6 lovely golden laced cochin males. They arrived the day after hatch and all lived. So my 6 birds suddenly expanded to 16. My husband laughed at me. Things went along pretty well until one of the little cochins was injured by one of the kids and his buddies "took him out" --- at 2 weeks. Who would have thought that 2 week old chickies could be that mean. So, speaking of homeschool lessons, we got to talk about the value of animal life versus the value of human life and normal animal behaviors and how we could not "punish those bad birds" because they were doing what birds do. We have also got to talk about how chickens get in the egg to begin with--a very fertile topic (pun intended).
smile.png
So you see there is so much you can teach your kids from chickens.

Oh, and did I mention the biggest lesson of all? Mom is not perfect...oh yah, I neglected to mention one small detail...we have deed restrictions in our neighborhood.
sad.png
You see, Mom willfully (and gleefully) ordered those chickens knowing she would have to hide them in the garage the whole time they were growing, never realizing that having "warmer birds" would really throw a wrench into my well laid plans. Fortunately, my folks have a ranch in South Texas and they have taken them to live there until they are big enough to grace the dinner table. Unfortunately, we have grown quite attached to those 5 cochins. Any one have any success in getting an exemption for deed restrictions?

So there is my homeschooling experience with chickens. I am dying to have some more. Maybe my DH will get a job transfer. This time I will make sure it is some where I can have birds.
smile.png

--Bird

I'd be into home schooling my kids...my wife and I have talked about it and were prepared to do it once I was 'retired' from my last job......it was looking like we may have to sell our house at the time.....I was ready to home school and travel in a fifth wheel until we found a more affordable place to live......

But...my wife was offered a job back with her old company (she left to be a stay at home mom) and it couldn't be turned down....I then became 'Mr. Dad'.....

My oldest is in kindergarten....so you never know what the future may bring....I do try to get them involved in most of what I do...and we plan camping trips around things for them to learn...we recently went to Colonial Williamsburg for that reason......

Anyway I'm rambling.....I have a lot of respect for folks that home school......a lot of parents these day's can't wait for their kids to leave the house for school, and a million and one out of home activities.....

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for the links, advice, etc. I can't tell you how helpful they've been. I'm still looking into a couple of the links, but didn't want to let more time go by without saying thanks to everyone, especially the originator of the thread....Accidental Farms, I think it was. I knew there was a reason I loved BYC!

Chicken-mama, I'm also still trying to get through all the great links posted here. I've been making notes from all the suggestions in the posts, too. I knew our flock had quite a few lessons to teach us, but WOW, I just didn't realize the extent of it all! I believe this is going to be a year long project for the kids- we've ordered hatching eggs and will set them next week to jump start the project.

We have a large flock already, so we will probably not keep all that hatch (assuming we hatch any!), but my plan is to have the kids:
1. Brainstorm on what types of records they may need to keep from the point of deciding to incubate eggs. Costs, time involved, schedules for feeding/watering, calendar of 'events', breed choices and reasons for choosing, projected egg/chick sale estimates, etc. (critical thinking skills)
2. Work in Excel to create spreadsheet templates for their record keeping. (software/computer/math skills)
3. The kids will go through the whole process of setting and incubating the eggs- all the way through hatch. I will just be supervising. (animal science)
4. They will prepare the brooder and later housing. (covers many areas, incl. natural predators for our area, animal science, mathmatical calculations, etc.)
5. After hatch, they will be allowed to choose a few birds each to keep as their flock and then sell the rest, or decide on other culling options. (economics)
6. They will be keeping a notebook with their records, timeline of events with photos, projections, etc. (photography skills, photo editing/printing software skills, writing skills)

I am sure I am still missing some of the specific areas this project addresses, but as we go along I'm sure we will pick up on them. In addition to the above, we'll cover health issues for us and the flock, natural remedies and preventions vs. chemical or synthetics, nutrition, composting (chicken poo, garden scraps, kitchen scraps) and how chickens benefit a garden and a garden benefits the chickens (and both benefit us!)...on and on. I think I am most excited about the fact that my children will take from this an understanding of the whole homesteading idea. That it is possible, even on a small scale, and that food actually comes from somewhere before it hits the supermarket shelves.

I have to admit, I'm looking more forward to homeschooling all the time. I think it will be a great advantage for my son as well as myself. I'll homeschool my daughter after next year as well. I can almost hardly wait!

I will be homeschooling my kids in a few months.....
My son would do really well, he's in Grade 2 right now and reading at the 5th grade level, I think all in all - regular schooling is keeping him from moving on to greater heights....
My daughter is just 3, so we'll start with her as well - that will be fun!

I'll will incorporate our chickens, when we get them... the kids will LOVE that!

Chelly

Quote:
I haven't yet gone to any HS conferences because we lean towards the 'unschooling' approach. I will take a look at the link, though. I should probably go as I am sure there is much I could learn from the folks there. I am about a 4 hour drive from Houston.

Last edited:
AF,
I love going to recharge my batteries and the vendor hall it superb. We usually come away with lots of "extras" to as spice to our year. No one is going to try to change your way or style of schooling your kids. They just want to encourage you along the way. Last year I got some much needed help from an occupational therapist about ways to make it easier for my daughter to hold her pencil well. My kids (then 8 and 7) loved sitting in on a talk by one of their favorite story tellers and they loved the vendor hall also. My husband was out of town that week so it was either take the kids with me or not go. They do have a kids program, but the kids did not want to go to that. My littlest stayed home with grandma.
smile.png

Yesterday was our last day of school. Yahoooooooooooooooo!! Of course it will be short lived since we start back July one and take time off through out the year, but it is nice to be done and getting ready for a fresh start. If you come to Houston, it would be fun to meet at the conference.
smile.png

We are just north of Houston.

--Bird

Back
Top Bottom