Home set up?

Billyduck

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2023
Hello!
We are going to transition our ducks outside in a few weeks.
What is everyone’s set up like?
We have a coop for them, should we have it just sit on grass and have straw in the upstairs area? Straw on bottom and on top?

Hello!
We have a coop for them, should we have it just sit on grass and have straw in the upstairs area? Straw on bottom and on top?
I put mine on grass but pine shavings on top (deep liter method). The grass won’t last more than a week. Inside the house part, I put shavings with hay on top.

What do you mean by upstairs area? Ducks do not like to climb ramps and will most likely not use the upstairs of a chicken coop. How many ducks, what kind, and how big is it?

This is my setup for 5-6 ducks. They free range in the garden during the day and are locked in at night.

Transition them outside slowly. A few hours a day when the temperatures are good. When I have to fight them to bring them back inside I figure they are ready to stay out there.
2D421F46-26FF-474F-9A5A-C2801259FA81.jpeg
5AFA157A-972A-4EB6-A907-B57454837D43.jpeg

Hello!
Can you post pictures of your coop? When I first started with ducks, they had a run with a coop upstairs that sounds like what you were talking about. I re-built the ramp to make it wider sturdier and have side rails so they couldn’t fall off then they used it with no more problem . how secure will they be ? digging animals can dig right under the side of a run if it’s just sat down and you you don’t skirt it with hardware cloth. Safety is number one.

I put mine on grass but pine shavings on top (deep liter method). The grass won’t last more than a week. Inside the house part, I put shavings with hay on top.

What do you mean by upstairs area? Ducks do not like to climb ramps and will most likely not use the upstairs of a chicken coop. How many ducks, what kind, and how big is it?

This is my setup for 5-6 ducks. They free range in the garden during the day and are locked in at night.

Transition them outside slowly. A few hours a day when the temperatures are good. When I have to fight them to bring them back inside I figure they are ready to stay out there.
View attachment 3607379View attachment 3607381
Thanks for the info!
I have three ducks and the coop is about 38x92. And we are going to have an area of the yard to play like yours. The upstairs is a nest box we planned to put them ourself for night time

Can you post pictures of your coop? When I first started with ducks, they had a run with a coop upstairs that sounds like what you were talking about. I re-built the ramp to make it wider sturdier and have side rails so they couldn’t fall off then they used it with no more problem . how secure will they be ? digging animals can dig right under the side of a run if it’s just sat down and you you don’t skirt it with hardware cloth. Safety is number one.

Attachments

• IMG_2339.png
    IMG_2339.png
    793.1 KB · Views: 5
This is what we have! I plan to create a better more sturdy ramp that has a little grip for them as well. Otherwise I planned to just put them in there at night time so they are safe

Back
Top Bottom