Homemade bread, any fun tricks?

Sorry I haven't checked back recently. I'd love to share my starter recipe! I got it from an old Sunset recipe book.

Heat 1 cup of milk (low fat or whole - not non fat) to 90-100 degrees. Remove from heat and stir in low fat or full fat (again, not non fat) yogurt. Pour into a pre-warmed glass, ceramic, plastic, or stainless steel container and let stand in a *warm place (80 -100 degrees) 18-24 hours.

Your mixture should be like yogurt now. If there is clear liquid, just stir it back in. If it's pink, discard and start over. After the curd has formed, stir in 1 cup ap flour. Cover and let sit in warm place (80-100 degrees) until mixture is full of bubbles and has a good smell. 2- 5 days. If clear liquid forms, stir it in. If liquid turns pink, discard all but 1/4 cup starter and blend in 1 cup each warm milk and flour. Cover and let stand in warm place till bubbly. It's best to use it once a week. Replenish with equal parts milk and flour.

If you're interested, the sourdough waffle recipe which follows is outstanding, and low fat! I'll check back soon :)

*I used a cooler and jars full of boiling water. I replaced the water jars as needed - wasn't often. A heating pad would work as well - if it doesn't have a shut off switch.

ETA: absolutely you can use home made yogurt :)

Last edited:
Thank you GardenGal for sharing your recipe, I will definitely have to try it out.

Sorry I haven't checked back recently. I'd love to share my starter recipe! I got it from an old Sunset recipe book.

Heat 1 cup of milk (low fat or whole - not non fat) to 90-100 degrees. Remove from heat and stir in low fat or full fat (again, not non fat) yogurt. Pour into a pre-warmed glass, ceramic, plastic, or stainless steel container and let stand in a *warm place (80 -100 degrees) 18-24 hours.

Your mixture should be like yogurt now. If there is clear liquid, just stir it back in. If it's pink, discard and start over. After the curd has formed, stir in 1 cup ap flour. Cover and let sit in warm place (80-100 degrees) until mixture is full of bubbles and has a good smell. 2- 5 days. If clear liquid forms, stir it in. If liquid turns pink, discard all but 1/4 cup starter and blend in 1 cup each warm milk and flour. Cover and let stand in warm place till bubbly. It's best to use it once a week. Replenish with equal parts milk and flour.

If you're interested, the sourdough waffle recipe which follows is outstanding, and low fat! I'll check back soon :)

*I used a cooler and jars full of boiling water. I replaced the water jars as needed - wasn't often. A heating pad would work as well - if it doesn't have a shut off switch.

ETA: absolutely you can use home made yogurt :)

...so if you use this yogurt starter, you do not use yeast?

Sorry, I am brand new to baking bread...

I have baked the same recipe several times, adding grains to it but I am not quite satisfied with the flavor...any tips?

Back
Top Bottom