Homemade brooder - do I need to change anything?

gracejr

Songster
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I gave in to cuteness. Granted it means a lot longer before we get any eggs, but I couldn't resist trying my hand at chicks.
roll.png

I forgot to grab hardware cloth while I was out, so for now it is coverless. How long will it be ok this way before they can jump/fly out? I believe the bin is 20" deep.

They've got medicated starter, water, and chick grit. Two clamp lights - one is a bright daylight bulb from my light box, since the heat light bulb didn't seem to be warming it up very much. All they had for those was 50w bulbs, and at 20" up it just didn't seem all that warm.

Should I make a roost of some sort, or will the be fine until they're a bit older? Anything else I should add/change?

i wish mine were that small still i have the same set up as you and now there a 3-6 weeks old its borderline animal cruelty how small it is i need to get the coop built stat!

We're getting our coop this weekend (hopefully! It WAS supposed to be here last weekend!), so I should have enough time to get it ready before they get transitioned out there. Do you think it'll be fine to not bother with a cover? Or will they be able to get out of there before they get too big for it?

I have mine in the same thing but I only have 3. I do not have a cover and they are fine. I have more of a problems with my kiddos keeping out, but I figure its good for them to get use to the chicks so they help out when they get bigger. The chicks are only 3 weeks and growing like crazy.
smile.png

I have a brooder similar to the one you have and it has worked out great. I had to add chicken wire to the top around 3 weeks old so they wouldn't get out. They first started jumping on the food container and when I found one perching on the side of the bin I decided it was time for a cover.

X

Back
Top Bottom