HomeMade Brooder Heater for outdoors

morelcabin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario Canada
This is so cheap and generates alot of heat! Learned this from my sailing days...we used to put a clay pot over the stove burner to heat the boat on cold nights. This one uses a 100w light bulb that I have wired into a clay plant pot, taped the bottom of the pot onto the top of the pot, and voila, completely sealed, no light output. I just put it on top of two small patio stones so it doesn't touch the shavings. My brooder is a pen out in the shed and it is well below zero here right now.
10dh66o.jpg

I will try the idea next time, but put the large piece of the tile in the bottom without the tape.

A couple of thoughts here, first its a clever idea!

next, if anyone is going to make one of these pay a little extra to get a porcelin bulb holder. they will handle much more heat than a bakelite or plastic one. just a little extra safety factor.

another thing I thought is to use a smaller pot and a largish "bottom" and then set it up so that the actual pot is right side up. this would give a heated "cover" for the chicks to hang out under, plus the warm base of the pot.

nice project,
Jerry

You're right. A porcelin bulb holder would be better...AND use real heat duct tape (the dryer duct kind that is metal and made for heat) Also, use a larger pot...I had to put the base of this one on because the bulb sticks too far out the bottom to simply rest it on the tile. Your idea of using a larger cover is great! But the pot gets really warm, maybe try a lesser bulb. Still in the beginning stages of this invention LOL! BUT it does generate some great radiant heat I tell you!

Last edited:
This is so cheap and generates alot of heat! Learned this from my sailing days...we used to put a clay pot over the stove burner to heat the boat on cold nights. This one uses a 100w light bulb that I have wired into a clay plant pot, taped the bottom of the pot onto the top of the pot, and voila, completely sealed, no light output. I just put it on top of two small patio stones so it doesn't touch the shavings. My brooder is a pen out in the shed and it is well below zero here right now.
10dh66o.jpg

Do you have a new link for your picture? Thanks.

morelcabin. Great idea. I have clicked on your link and do not see a pic though. Could you send one to me at [email protected] I would appreicate it. Thank you. I would like to build one for my brooder. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom