Homemade Cabinet Incubator Thermostat & Humidity Options

barrybsmith

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
I was wondering if anyone else has other solutions. I'm wanting to try and make it more automated to have better control over the Thermostat & Humidity and not have to spend much money.

My Current Setup: Semi Auto $60 (Testing success rate)

Wood & Styrofoam Cabinet
Fan at top pushing the heat through duct to the bottom
Auto egg turners
Light Bulb at bottom for heat source
Water pan at bottom that I pour hot water into through a pvc for humidity

Possible Setup: $250

225 Watt Cabinet IncuKit | Incubator Thermostat Fan Heater

Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller

Zoo Med Reptile Fogger Terrarium Humidifier

Another Possible Setup: $166

Elitech 110V All-Purpose Temperature Controller+ Sensor 2 Relay Output Thermostat Stc-1000

My Heat Personal Ceramic Heater

AC Infinity HS1238A-X Standard Cooling Fan, 115V AC 120mm by 120mm by 38mm High Speed

Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller

Zoo Med Reptile Fogger Terrarium Humidifier

Yiannisk

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2012
Yes it will i already use it in the fridge incubator i am building
i am using the 220V as i live in Europe but it is still the same

Last edited:

badflash

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2013
I know this is an old thread, but I am making a test run using the WH8040 to control a humidifier. It appears to have a pretty big flaw when using it to control a cool mist humidifier in an incubator. If the sensor comes in contact with the mist it becomes highly inaccurate in the low direction. It worked great at first, then over a day or so, when I moved the setting up to 65% the indicated humidity started going up, then started dropping down to about 45%. After drying it with a hair dryer and filling the reservoir with water the indication went to 65%. I am introducing the mist via the fan port. If I back the humidifier down to the point that no visible mist comes out, it does not produce enough moisture to make the humidity rise.

Scratching my head.

I am also using a REX-C100FK02-V*AN PID controller for temperature. It comes with a type K thermocouple, which is not suitable for this application. You only get whole degree indication with that sensor. I've ordered a PT100 RTD which should support up to 3 decimal places. It seems to control very well with less than 1 degree C overshoot at startup. Took a while to figure out how to configure it. I gutted a Little Giant force air incubator and connected the controller to the heater.

Now what I really need is an accurate temperature and humidity indicator to calibrate it with. Anyone know where i can find one?

The controllers cost me under $40 combined with free shipping. I paid another $9 for the RTD.

badflash

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2013
I solved the problem with the WH8040. I backed down on the output controls on the humidifier until I could no longer see steam. Now it cycles just fine. I bought an Avianweb Digital Mini Instant-Read Temperature & Humidity Gauge Thermometer (Hygrometer). This is pretty cheap and acurate and allowed me to calibrate both the humidity controller and the temperature controller. Still waiting for my RTD, but I have the temp set at 100.4, which is as close as I can get without the RTD. Once I have the RTD I can tweek it in to the nearest decimal place. The raw thermocouple reading was 6 degrees low. The Humidity sensor was 5% off.

badflash

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2013
I finally got my PT100 RTD today, hooked it up and found a new problem. When I set the number of decimal places to 1, I was limited to +/- 10 degrees C for the setpoint. I worked around this by setting the SC setting (calibration offset) to -37.5 (-99.5 degrees C) and put the setpoint to 0. I then used the setpoint to adjust the temperature to control at 99.5F on the Little Giant thermometer. The Avianweb temp/humidity reading was 100.8F.

Man with 1 thermometer knows how hot it is. Man with 2, never sure. The humidity reading is within a percent between the humidity controller and the Avianweb readout. Temperature control is rock steady, Humidity controller cycles between 52% and 48%. I'm satisfied with it.

WalnutHill

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
SE Michigan
I know this is an old thread, but I am making a test run using the WH8040 to control a humidifier. It appears to have a pretty big flaw when using it to control a cool mist humidifier in an incubator. If the sensor comes in contact with the mist it becomes highly inaccurate in the low direction. It worked great at first, then over a day or so, when I moved the setting up to 65% the indicated humidity started going up, then started dropping down to about 45%. After drying it with a hair dryer and filling the reservoir with water the indication went to 65%. I am introducing the mist via the fan port. If I back the humidifier down to the point that no visible mist comes out, it does not produce enough moisture to make the humidity rise.

Scratching my head.

I am also using a REX-C100FK02-V*AN PID controller for temperature. It comes with a type K thermocouple, which is not suitable for this application. You only get whole degree indication with that sensor. I've ordered a PT100 RTD which should support up to 3 decimal places. It seems to control very well with less than 1 degree C overshoot at startup. Took a while to figure out how to configure it. I gutted a Little Giant force air incubator and connected the controller to the heater.

Now what I really need is an accurate temperature and humidity indicator to calibrate it with. Anyone know where i can find one?

The controllers cost me under $40 combined with free shipping. I paid another $9 for the RTD.

Thanks for this
goodpost.gif

I was just about to order an ultrasonic mister for my incubator to raise hatching humidity. I have the WH8040 and have run it up to 64 percent but haven't crossed that threshold yet.

badflash

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2013
I have my incubator set up in a tropical fish room. The room humidity is 70%. With no added humidity the relative humidity drops to around 35%. That being said I can go to 65% using the ultrasonic humidifier. Just back down the setting so that the mist is not visible. My hose runs up hill before going down to the incubator. Maybe a drop out tank would work in the humidity path, but for me it is working.

WalnutHill

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
SE Michigan
I raised my humidity last night for hatching, I normally maintain about 38% average. WH8040 LS is 1, HS is 95 (as high as it goes). Humidity setting is 68%, relative room humidity is 25%, and with my air stone in a pan of water I am currently bouncing between 64.9 and 65.1. Two other hygrometers are in close agreement. The air stone is currently running all the time to reach this humidity.

I have the sensor in the column of warm air halfway up the cabinet, rather than directly near the moisture source. I haven't experienced the sensor swing that you describe with this setup, but I also haven't achieved anything over 65.2%.

Top Bottom