homemade candlers, need how to make one

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BikerBabeRules, Mar 22, 2008.

1. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    Hi,
    I'm needing to candle some very dark eggs and my Maglite just won't do it. Does anyone have a quick, easy homemade contraption that'll candle those eggs for me? Does anything see into the darker eggs (Welsummer) at day 7 or 9 enough to see the embryo?
    Thanks much,
    Kathy [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you do a search sgrey did a how to for his homemade candler and it was nice.

editing to add, you can't always tell with dark eggs even with a super brite light. I have a suerfire and really dark eggs are hard for even it to shine through.

3. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    i did that and nothing, unless i'm not searching correctly, thanks Prissy.

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Speckledhen used a movie projector. That might be to exspensive unless you can find one at a garage sale.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I have RIRs and I couldn't see anything when I candled them. I think I will make one of them. I printed out the directions. That's pretty neat.

7. CuddlesXL

CuddlesXL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2007
    I made one out of an old shoe box a six volt lantern and a toilet paper roll.

Just cut a hole the size of the toilet paper roll,insert the roll and secure it with a little duct tape.Put your lantern in so it shines through the hole and put the lid on it and you have a perfect home made candler.

[​IMG]

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    We made one out of a metal coffee can. Cut a hole in the bottom for the large end of the egg, mounted a light inside on a piece of wood that unscrews. DH made it so it could be mounted on the wall in the henhouse, near a plug. Works great, and if you use the funny curly light bulbs, they don't get too hot so you have a little more time to look. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by