homemade candlers, need how to make one

BikerBabeRules

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi,
I'm needing to candle some very dark eggs and my Maglite just won't do it. Does anyone have a quick, easy homemade contraption that'll candle those eggs for me? Does anything see into the darker eggs (Welsummer) at day 7 or 9 enough to see the embryo?
Thanks much,
Kathy
hmm.png

If you do a search sgrey did a how to for his homemade candler and it was nice.

editing to add, you can't always tell with dark eggs even with a super brite light. I have a suerfire and really dark eggs are hard for even it to shine through.

I have RIRs and I couldn't see anything when I candled them. I think I will make one of them. I printed out the directions. That's pretty neat.

I made one out of an old shoe box a six volt lantern and a toilet paper roll.

Just cut a hole the size of the toilet paper roll,insert the roll and secure it with a little duct tape.Put your lantern in so it shines through the hole and put the lid on it and you have a perfect home made candler.

big_smile.png

We made one out of a metal coffee can. Cut a hole in the bottom for the large end of the egg, mounted a light inside on a piece of wood that unscrews. DH made it so it could be mounted on the wall in the henhouse, near a plug. Works great, and if you use the funny curly light bulbs, they don't get too hot so you have a little more time to look.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom