1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicks4kids, Apr 27, 2009.

1. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Here are some pics of my coop which ended up costing just around $50- $17 for hardware cloth, $13 for replacement panes of some windows, and $15 for the white farm & garden paint. Everything else was things I rummaged and found. The walls are insulated garage doors that were thrown out from the business next to my husbands work, windows were given-all I had to do was knock on the door and ask, 2x4's were leftover from construction, donated, 4x8 sheets for roof was in our garage, axle and swivel wheel came from my FIL and planter boxes were given to us as well. So you can see, it was just pretty much stuff laying around or given.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have enclosed the underside of the coop with fencing and also the front section with the window boxes now has a large fenced and netted area for them to scratch around in. But I am already making plans for a larger coop...[​IMG]

2. Dandy Acres

Dandy Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Fabulous! I love it.

3. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    That is so cute! and you did very well saving money! and I know that lovely young lady enjoys those birds! [​IMG]

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Awesome.. i love that its on wheels... great use of found materials

5. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Wow! Serious Wheels! I love it.

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Yeah, the wheels look alittle funny, and I'm seriously looking for another axle for where the swivel wheel is, because it makes it incredibly easy to move around the yard. It took me about a week to NOT laugh at the wheels!![​IMG]

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Very nice coop, and good job recycling [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by