Homemade Chicken Feeder Pics wanted

19676_feeder.jpg

This holds about 150 lbs of feed. I usually only put 100 lbs in it at a time.

34919_falcon_feb2010_053.jpg
[/img]

Made from 4" PVC pipe with an elbow and lid. The blue thingy is just to keep rain off the feed is made from a found object sliced in half - ink holder

My husband made this It holds about a quarter bag of feed 50# bag. I did not want to have it hold the whole bag because we are testing out the design and I worry about feed getting moldy - we live in Florida.

He got the idea from a grit holder someone made on this site

Caroline

here is a pic of my PVC feeders. I've since moved them inside because even though there is a corrugated roof over them, the rain blew in and got the exposed feed wet in this location.

19992_coop_update002.jpg

41083_1-30-10_056_copy.jpg

My feeders are made out of 5 gallon buckets. I used a jigsaw to cut the bottom off the buckets, then cut the remainder of the bucket in half length wise. I used bolts to narrow the bucket, then elbow brackets to attach the bucket to the bottom section with a gap to allow the feed to flow. I later went to the deli section of my grocery store where they gave me some empty buckets of various sizes. Those buckets are not as heavy duty, but will do the job.

My waterer (sorry, you can only see part of it in this pict) was made out of another bucket with a good, tight fitting lid. I drilled a hole about 1/2 inch near the top of the bucket. Make sure lid is on tight, and tip it over into a pan such as a hog feeder found at TSC for about 3 bucks. I hung a heat lamp over the waterer, and so far it has jet to freeze.

Each of the feeders will hold about 3 coffee cans full of feed.

Last edited:
39570_p2250647.jpg

Same idea, but I canged a couple of things I used a drainage pipe, a longer swep 90 and used a hole saw insted of making an open top to stop them from scooping the feed out

total cost

$7 for 10ft of pipe (I could make a second feeder with the left over)
$1.24 x2 for end caps
$2.40 for long swep 90

I built 2 today after scoring some super cheap PVC on Craigslist
smile.png
I did one of the standard 3" PVC, 45 degree & then a 90 degree long sweep. That one they are billing out a bit. The other I used a "closet flange" (whatever that is~LOL) through the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, then a 45 and a regular 90. All parts are just firmly pushed together. The bucket is hanging against the wall, but the bottom of the pipe feeder area is sitting on top on an upside down 2 1/2 gallon flat back bucket. So far, that one looks awesome! It's super easy to fill, has a lid (came with the bucket) and they're not billing it out yet. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. It's a monsoon out there right now!

Thanks so much for asking this question. After building my chicken tractor out of recycled materials (from Freecycle and Habitat ReStore) it didn't even occur to me that I could make the feeder, too. What great ideas! I think I might try the PVC versions because I saw some laying around outside of the ReStore this week. I also think it might be lighter - something I need to think about with the tractor.

Back
Top Bottom