Homemade Cooler/Fridge-a-Bator Hatcher Instructions/Diagram

I am mid-build of one of these using a cooler and I have a question...

Is there anything behind the light socket, or is it just directly attached to the plastic of the cooler?

Is it OK if the screws that carry the electric are touching the plastic wall? No worries about electrical shorts?

Thanks!

Thanks - I didn't know if the moisture could build up on the walls and cause trouble. Anyway, it's up and running! Thanks for posting your tutorial. :)

Now all I need are some eggs... Maybe the neighbor's brahma bantams are still laying.

HOORAY!

I posted last week about building a styrofoam bator for my old, cold house that is heated with only a woodstove. My temperature swings are pretty drastic in most of the house. But I've discovered that in the laundry room, it's less than a ten degree swing, and it's currently between 55 and 65F.

A lot of people replied that with my home temps, I'd have a hard time making a styrofoam bator work. With its insulation, would a mini fridge bator hold temp more easily and have a better chance of working in my funky old house?

Im in the middle of building one out of a cooler. My dad is a collector (of trash) and wont let me use our small broke down mini fridge. He says " there is no sence in messing up a good fridge. Look in the middle of the second sentence, the word BROKE stands out to me. AGHH!!

I think that this is great....I have all of the stuff, so off I go to make this. Thanks for all the great info

Quote:
We heat with wood, too, though we just ran out. The Fridge-a-Bator does hold heat and humidity better than any we have. As a fridge, it's heavily insulated. The only issue is the metal thermostat adjustment lever. At night, in a cold room, it transmits cold to the wafer, making it stay on longer than it should. So, the night temps go a bit over what they should be unless I put an insulating cover on the lever. Other than that, it's a fabulous bator.

Quote:
We heat with wood, too, though we just ran out. The Fridge-a-Bator does hold heat and humidity better than any we have. As a fridge, it's heavily insulated. The only issue is the metal thermostat adjustment lever. At night, in a cold room, it transmits cold to the wafer, making it stay on longer than it should. So, the night temps go a bit over what they should be unless I put an insulating cover on the lever. Other than that, it's a fabulous bator.

Thanks for that pointer Cynthia. That will help!

Back
Top Bottom