1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Duck Feeders...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EggsForIHOP, Nov 13, 2011.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Does anyone want to show off some of their homemade feeders? I need a new and creative project to go with my plan for ducks this spring...I would LOVE to see anything ya'll came up with for your ducks - recycled materials, cheap and easy, fancy but functional...they all apply!

I want to start with some pekin ducks this spring, and I like to make as much as I can myself...but I need some new ideas! So duck people...SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT IN THE FEEDER DEPARTMENT! And thank you too!

2. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I took a rubber feed tub that I had laying around and used it as a base for my feeder. Then I took a 5 gallon bucket and drilled holes around the side of it, close to the bottom. I just screwed the rubber feed tub to bottom of the bucket. It works pretty good. I can try to get some pics if it will help make it more clear.

3. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I just use a big plastic mixing bowl

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I made a long tray out of scrap plywood, all the babies and about half the older ducks eat out of it.

5. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:I like this idea...I have some GIANT pvc pipe laying about the property...already cut in half with capped ends...wonder if I could secure it to 2x4's and it would work...or would it be too prone to getting stood in and pooed in do you think?

I also like the rubber feeder/5 gallong bucket idea...just never been very good at getting the holes drilled right for the feed to come out...I'm doing something wrong I think...any more technical suggestions on that one like dimensions/size of holes?

And thank you for the ideas! I'm pretty clever, but not creative enough [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Here are my feeders. Not pretty but they are functional.

Feeders made from recycled pallets - 4 feet long & 5 feed long. Holds 5 gallons of feed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recycled PVC Pipe/Pallet Wood feeders - Holds 5 gallons of feed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I fashioned the ghetto temp proof of concept food/water set up yesterday. I'll try to get a pic of it this week and plan to pick up some stuff at HD/Lowe's tomorrow to make the non ghetto version.

I have a small covered stand with some pickets going down the sides to keep the dogs from getting their heads in the duck food area.
    I attached a food/water thing from Tractor supply - food goes in one side, oyster shell in the other. I have attached that to the back side of their food enclosure to keep it dry
    On the outside, i have another container from tractor supply that hooks over a 2x4. In that, I have their water dish. I plan to have a roof over it in the non ghetto design to keep the sun from making all their water dishes fail early.

Once I get a pic, I'll post it. It seems to work well for the girls.

8. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. Cheapchicksfarm

Cheapchicksfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    I just use large bowls,pans or cut off 5 gallon buckets I fill the bowls up every other day

1 person likes this.
  10. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ok, here is the ghetto version

[​IMG]

But the concept seems to work well for my 2 anyway. My plan is to pick up some stuff tonight to make something that fits in with the back yard a bit more - not entirely sure what that is at the moment since I want it movable and using bricks won't work for that lol

But the back to keep water/dogs from sticking their heads where they don't belong (duck food) is some treks decking boards.
    A roof of good plywood
    and some feed dishes from Tractor Supply. Water hooks over a 2x4. Food/oyster shells are on a hook on a 2x4.

New version will be enclosed on 3 sides and roof extending over the water since the sun breaks plastic down quickly here and it breaks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by