Homemade feed

Using Equal parts of each, generic values for each of the ingredients, and the best bulk pricing I could find with a quick internet search, that recipe is terrible. I've not corrrected for "as fed", which would lower all the numbers a little bit to account for moisture content of the feed ingredients (about 10%, on average).

Target numbers, according to USDA/NRCS, various extension offices, lots of studies, range from 16-20% protein, about 3.5% fiber +/-, and 3.5% fat +/-. I've seen fiber recommends for some birds up to 5% in some conditions, and fat recommends at 4.5% for waterfowl, as much as 6% in the finishing stage for CX birds being fattened for table.

That recipe comes out at $1.36/lb, or around $83 for a 50# bag (due mostly to the mealworms), correcting for "as fed" (mental math) is below 16% protein (just), at about 6.25% fiber (that's high), about 13.5% fat (that's 4x higher than target, and real risk for a host of illnesses, including fatty liver disease). Methionine levels don't meet minimum recommends (particularly bad for developing birds, but bad for body condition, regardless of age or gender) as they are key components of connective tissue building, Lysine is w/i target (2nd most critical amino acid in poultry), Threonine is at the bottom of target (just misses), and somehow Tryptophan is low - something that you almost never see in a (grain based) poultry diet. So the birds are not only getting too little protein, but the protein they are getting isn't AA balanmced for their needs, meaning they can't use it at optimum efficiency.

The calculator doesn't look for needed trace elements critical to a bird's health (Selenium, various vitamins, etc) that's beyond its current scope. Chances are, there are deficiencies.

Finally, look at that last number - MJ (energy)/Kg - there isn't a "right" number here, there are various feed methodologies involving high energy diets and low energy diets with particular outcomes in mind, but 16.43 MJ/kg is, relatively speaking, a HUGE number. There's a school of thought that a bird will eat only uintil it meets its energy needs, then stop feeding. The typical daily energy needs of a chicken are well below 1.64 MJ (assuming you feed 100g per day), meaning the chicken (if that school of thought holds true in this instance) won't eat all the food provided, rendering the offered feed mix even more deficient!

1644427696523.png

Now, I'm no expert. I thru the calculator together in a day. I used Feedipedia as my source for most of its data, for good or ill. I've only been studying poultry feed theory, casually, about 6 mo - trying to help out other posters who may not be as good searching the web as I am. But based on what little I do know, I'm quite confident in recommending AGAINST that feed mix, for reasons above.

and I hope this post illustrates why I continue to say that the more I know about feeding poultry, the less inclined I am to try and homebrew a recipe.

Using Equal parts of each, generic values for each of the ingredients, and the best bulk pricing I could find with a quick internet search, that recipe is terrible. I've not corrrected for "as fed", which would lower all the numbers a little bit to account for moisture content of the feed ingredients (about 10%, on average).

Target numbers, according to USDA/NRCS, various extension offices, lots of studies, range from 16-20% protein, about 3.5% fiber +/-, and 3.5% fat +/-. I've seen fiber recommends for some birds up to 5% in some conditions, and fat recommends at 4.5% for waterfowl, as much as 6% in the finishing stage for CX birds being fattened for table.

That recipe comes out at $1.36/lb, or around $83 for a 50# bag (due mostly to the mealworms), correcting for "as fed" (mental math) is below 16% protein (just), at about 6.25% fiber (that's high), about 13.5% fat (that's 4x higher than target, and real risk for a host of illnesses, including fatty liver disease). Methionine levels don't meet minimum recommends (particularly bad for developing birds, but bad for body condition, regardless of age or gender) as they are key components of connective tissue building, Lysine is w/i target (2nd most critical amino acid in poultry), Threonine is at the bottom of target (just misses), and somehow Tryptophan is low - something that you almost never see in a (grain based) poultry diet. So the birds are not only getting too little protein, but the protein they are getting isn't AA balanmced for their needs, meaning they can't use it at optimum efficiency.

The calculator doesn't look for needed trace elements critical to a bird's health (Selenium, various vitamins, etc) that's beyond its current scope. Chances are, there are deficiencies.

Finally, look at that last number - MJ (energy)/Kg - there isn't a "right" number here, there are various feed methodologies involving high energy diets and low energy diets with particular outcomes in mind, but 16.43 MJ/kg is, relatively speaking, a HUGE number. There's a school of thought that a bird will eat only uintil it meets its energy needs, then stop feeding. The typical daily energy needs of a chicken are well below 1.64 MJ (assuming you feed 100g per day), meaning the chicken (if that school of thought holds true in this instance) won't eat all the food provided, rendering the offered feed mix even more deficient!

View attachment 2988533

Now, I'm no expert. I thru the calculator together in a day. I used Feedipedia as my source for most of its data, for good or ill. I've only been studying poultry feed theory, casually, about 6 mo - trying to help out other posters who may not be as good searching the web as I am. But based on what little I do know, I'm quite confident in recommending AGAINST that feed mix, for reasons above.

and I hope this post illustrates why I continue to say that the more I know about feeding poultry, the less inclined I am to try and homebrew a recipe.
I understand now. So i’m best just staying in the purina flock raiser that has 20% protein and is less money then making this concoction (if you will)! Thank you so much for your help

I did it for a while because I had too… getting the proper stuff was hard and costly. You have to worry about a lot of things, I still fiddle with my feed but now that I can get it premade it is way easier. I supplement as I see fit. But in a pinch could I whip something up, yes… but would it be as good as my current feed? That is hard to say as it would be dependent on availability of needed ingredients.

You need space for all the bulk feed ingredients, you need to make everything rodent proof, you will have to find sources for the bulk ingredients, you need bins for mixing the ingredients. I needed paddy rice, and I live in an area not far from rice fields yet I had a hard time finding it and I did not like the place I found that supplied it… sketchy sort of place. I had to hunt around for every ingredient… so you need the time to do all that, take road trips sometimes to other counties to get the ingredients. I had fun and I learned stuff but not really time efficient or cost effective.

I read a tik tok where a lady has 30+ chickens and she makes her own feed. She adds corn, wheat, barley, milo, oats, sunflower seeds and boon/meal worms. Has anyone ever made their own feed? I’m worried about the protein part. Thanks!

There are some people who feed their chickens nothing but restaurant waste food in giant compost piles. Old time farmers had chickens running around the yard and would feed them any scraps they had, plus whatever the chickens found on their own. I saw one YouTube video where the guy was getting free grains from a source, so he mixed his own feed to save money. In all those cases, I don't think egg production was a primary consideration.

I raise chickens to make compost, and eggs are just a bonus. But I always have commercial feed available 24/7 and supplement with kitchen scraps as available. Also, I turned my chicken run into a chicken run composting system and my chickens (in the non-snow covered months) will stay out all day scratching and pecking for food. I dump all my leaves and grass clippings in the run along with wood chips as I have them. Lots of juicy worms and bugs in all that organic stuff.

My chickens eat about half of their commercial feed in the summer as compared to the winter months. If your goal is to save money, then get chickens that are good foragers. Although I advocate building a chicken run compost system for many reasons, I think my chickens might have better egg production if they only ate a well balanced commercial feed. But I enjoy watching my chickens scratching and pecking in the compost all day long. They seem to enjoy it.

If you are talking about "Garden Betty", DON'T DO IT.

If your questiuon truly is "Has anyone done it"? regarding *almost anything* to do with chickens, the answer is YES! and as @Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay suggests above, a quick use of the Search engine will demonstrate the veracity of my claim.

Now, the questions you didn't ask...

Can you save money making your own feed? Probably not. Particularly for the typical backyard flock.

Can you make a nutritionally superior feed at similar price point to whatever target niche need you have (Organic, Soy-Free, Gluten-free, non-GMO, Vegan, etc)? Probably not. Particularly for the typical backyard flock, with the knowledge of a typical backyard owner.

Is Protein the only thing you need to worry about? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Are there people here in BYC who will help me if I want to go down this road anyways? Yes - though the more they know about feeding birds, the less likely they are to recommend you embark on doing it.

Get yourself a bag of All Flock/Flock Raiser crumble from one of the big commercial companies (Purena, Nutrena, etc), feed all your birds that, all of their lives, regardless of gender, age, or whether or not they are currently laying or in molt. Have a seperate dish of oyster shell available, free choice, and a similar dish of grit. Keep plenty of fresh clean water on hand for them. Problem solved.

:thumbsup +1. Nothing more to say from me.

Does brand name make a difference? Again..so many to choose from its making my head hurt.
The only thing that makes a difference is the Guaranteed Nutritional Label*. and after comparing a number of them, I am of the opinion that Purina's All Flock/Flock Raiser is marginally better nutritionally than Nutrena's, and somewhat to significantly [respectively] better than DuMor's and MannaPro's.

*Ultimately, the only thing that matters on the bag is the date of MFG and the guaranteed nutritional analysis, assuming its at a price/lb you are willing to pay. The date matters because some vitamins degrade with time/exposure to oxygen.

Does brand name make a difference? Again..so many to choose from its making my head hurt.
There's all flock and flock raiser, both are low calcium feeds with good protein levels, though I think flock raiser has 17%. most layer feeds force too much calcium into a hen and only the minimum protein. I feed un-medicated chick feed or flock raiser/game bird feed mixed with egg shells or oyster shells in the side. Most keepers do.
It's really simple once you figure out the 'why'.

There's all flock and flock raiser, both are low calcium feeds with good protein levels, though I think flock raiser has 17%. most layer feeds force too much calcium into a hen and only the minimum protein. I feed un-medicated chick feed or flock raiser/game bird feed mixed with egg shells or oyster shells in the side. Most keepers do.
It's really simple once you figure out the 'why'.
Tyvvm

There are some people who feed their chickens nothing but restaurant waste food in giant compost piles. Old time farmers had chickens running around the yard and would feed them any scraps they had, plus whatever the chickens found on their own. I saw one YouTube video where the guy was getting free grains from a source, so he mixed his own feed to save money. In all those cases, I don't think egg production was a primary consideration.

I raise chickens to make compost, and eggs are just a bonus. But I always have commercial feed available 24/7 and supplement with kitchen scraps as available. Also, I turned my chicken run into a chicken run composting system and my chickens (in the non-snow covered months) will stay out all day scratching and pecking for food. I dump all my leaves and grass clippings in the run along with wood chips as I have them. Lots of juicy worms and bugs in all that organic stuff.

My chickens eat about half of their commercial feed in the summer as compared to the winter months. If your goal is to save money, then get chickens that are good foragers. Although I advocate building a chicken run compost system for many reasons, I think my chickens might have better egg production if they only ate a well balanced commercial feed. But I enjoy watching my chickens scratching and pecking in the compost all day long. They seem to enjoy it.
Could you give more details on your compost system? It sounds really interesting. '

Back
Top Bottom