Homemade feeders and waterers. *pics please*

If you're only feeding layer, it's supposed to have enough calcium for laying hens. I've never tried it, though. I range mine some and give them kitchen scraps and some of the garden overflow... I find that they will self-regulate their calcium intake if I leave the shell available.

I am using a non-medicated grower feed and there is no need to switch to layer other than my preference for pellets. So, I switch when ALL are laying. There are differing opinions on feeding layer to roosters. Some would use an all-flock or grower feed while others insist that the excess calcium won't really harm an adult chicken. You'll just have to decide how you feel about it. Layer feed was developed with the commercial layer in mind and there obviously aren't roosters in those facilities.

Here is mine. I made a rainwater harvesting system. It collects the rainwater from the coop roof and it is feed into a nipple system in the coop.

I made these to water & feed four 6-week old pullets for the holiday weekend ... a gallon juice jug with 1/2 inch hole cut in it an inch from the bottom, sitting in a plant pot base that is 2 inches deep. Must have an airtight lid to work! I block the hole with my finger when I fill it. So far, looks as though it will last them more than a week.

Feeder (temporary until they are outdoors) is made from an oatmeal container (you could use any size bucket with a lid) with four 1-inch holes cut in the bottom and placed in a shallow ziploc container (again, could be a plant pot base or other shallow dish, just bigger than container) Food falls out the holes as food is eaten. This looks to hold 5-6 days feed for my small flock, but it is easily scale-able.

Last edited:

Top photo i used 3 inch abs with wooden end caps with a piece of copper to stop them from roosting
bottom photo i used a dog treat container with a plant stand base the bungee's are to hold it all together

picture before the infestation of little fuzzies

P.s. The copper pipe dose not stop them from roosting at least they are big enough now that they hang over so no mess in feeder. I also lowered the copper because they were running under it.

Last edited:
Hi! I built and installed some neat gravity-fed feed and water systems for my flock of 24 chickens. I've just posted the how-to for the feeder on my blog, "Meanwhile, back at the ranch..."
http://crossedsabersranch.blogspot.com/2013/08/gravity-fed-poultry-feeder.html

I'm still writing up the how-to for the watering system. I'll probably have that article up on my blog tonight or tomorrow.

I've been using the feeders and watering systems for about a month and they work beautifully!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

UPDATE: Just posted the article about building the gravity-fed poultry watering system. Here ya go:
http://crossedsabersranch.blogspot.com/2013/08/gravity-fed-poultry-watering-system.html

Renee

Last edited:
I used to live in Ontario Nd know all about the winters. Down here. Small heater or aerator will suffice to keep water from freezing. Up there I figure that a car battery warmer on a timer that goes on an hour before they wake up should suffice. Never really tried this but I feel it make sense. Cheers and good luck

Hi all, as you can see I have just added a nipple water to our coop. The girls took to it immediately, but as you can see water is getting everywhere. The nipples are not dripping fast but is there anything I can do about this?

As some of you have these inside the coop I assume either I have done something wrong, or I can make modifications. Or maybe they are just 4 girls with a drinking problem (a bit sloppy).

Thanks for any advice.

Hi all, as you can see I have just added a nipple water to our coop. The girls took to it immediately, but as you can see water is getting everywhere. The nipples are not dripping fast but is there anything I can do about this?

As some of you have these inside the coop I assume either I have done something wrong, or I can make modifications. Or maybe they are just 4 girls with a drinking problem (a bit sloppy).

Thanks for any advice.
After trying every thing else I found these Horizontal Nipples.
I am so confident in these I offer a satisfaction guaranteed.
Right here on BYC

Back
Top Bottom