homemade feeders by RendonRoo

Would this feeder work if I don't use the 4" to 2" pipe? What if I just connected a 90 degree elbow to a 45 degree elbow then onto the vertical piece?

namble, that should work, i just used that short piece of 2'' because i had these fittings on hand.
cjexotic, I would just hang the chain down the pipe far enough to go below the reducer. I'm suprised that your having trouble with crumbles doing this. Mine have only clogged up once and that was because the feed got a little wet. I agree that the birds will eat the corn first but have no experience with phesants. hope you get it figured out.

Last edited:
I could not use wire as they still would be able to throw it. But I thought of some like of hood. but then if its too dark they may be scared of it. Have to think this through.

Do you have the part that they eat from high enough off the floor? I found that mounting mine with metal strapping (and a cinder block for support under the elbow) about 12" off the floor worked well for us.

caf.gif

Well I am bummed today. OH hates the feeders for his pheasants and has gone back to his bowls. So I will be removing them this weekend and patching the holes.

But I love mine in the chicken coop. I have silkies and they are about 8" off the ground. The only problem I have is with the crumbles hanging up. Will figure that out.
But it works great for grit or oyster shell. I have them in my pen and they work great.
Definitely worth the time and expense.
I do not have any supports under the neck at all they seem to be fine without.

Edit: RendonRoo how far off the ground is yours in your pics? And do you have standards or bantams.

Last edited:
Great idea. Would never work for my bunch tho. I have 24 pullets. I use a 3 ft long piece of plastic house guttering with two end caps. It is mounted to be easily removeable, but cannot be tipped over. About 8" from floor to top of troughs. I use same thing for water. I also put a flap of vinyl siding over the top and nailed a 2x2 under the lower edge of that. It is to cause the troughs to have only 2" of their 4" depth exposed. No roosting on edges that way, so no poop in them ever. I change the water out twice a week, never touched the feeder since putting it in. No waste and no spilling food or water. Feeder should be longer than watering trough.

Quote:
bummer cj! take the parts that you didn't cut or drill on wsh them off and return them. I had to return a lot that way while I was figuring out what works, went without a hitch.
Pheasants are a pain!

Quote:
bummer cj! take the parts that you didn't cut or drill on wsh them off and return them. I had to return a lot that way while I was figuring out what works, went without a hitch.
Pheasants are a pain!

First gsim: that is a great idea also. I had the trough with pvc 3" cut in half.. but hey would stand in it and scratch it out and roost on it. Could not think how to fix that problem so went with this. I have about 100 or so silkies.. divided in pens. So one pen has about 20-25 silkies and they are all doing great with the feeder. Only one feeder per pen and a grit or oyster shell feeder also. My largest pen I may put in an extra feeder but only because I want to not because they really need it. They seem to like it also. I just have to get a chain or even a small nylon rope to get the crumbles to flow freely.

Yes the pheasant are a pain. My OH is not a patient person and that is half the problem. He never looked to see the feeder was empty and started loading it with out the cap on the other end or his hand or a bag so it shot out all over the yard.
Now he does not pay for the feed.. and did not realize this was happening until he had about 5-8lbs of corn on the ground and not just at one feeder but at about 5 of them. Sometimes I wonder.. So its the feeders fault. So to say myself from grief I am taking them out.. I can either return the fittings or keep for my baby pens.

just bummed that you try to do something nice and it backfires.

Back
Top Bottom