Homemade Feeders/Waterer

Last edited:
I love the one we made out of rain gutters. The cover keeps food dry, and because it’s long instead of a bucket type feeder, multiple birds can feed at once. It’s too slippery for the to roost on top, and it cleans out in a snap. It doesn’t hurt combs and wattles, but the cover makes it extremely difficult for them to bill out and waste food.

I came up with this idea when I started feeding fermented food, but I gave up on FF and went back to dry. Feeder worked great for that, too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/fuss-free-fermented-feed-feeder.67818/

Last edited:
i take a 5 gallon bucket and attach a metal feed pan to the bottom and cut out some triangular holes in the bucket, it costs me about 8$!
I do the same thing. I put a inverted flower pot inside the bucket which caused the feed not to pile in the middle of the bucket, it forces the feed to the outside edge of the bucket. If it stays in the center of the bucket too long it can go bad.

I don't have a pic, but, I used a 55 gallon, food grade barrel. I drilled q hole near the bottom and installed a bulk head, attached a valve and ran pvc into my run and attached water nipples. Works great.

51EA3386-D526-4530-86DD-B6ED85F09C52.jpeg
5B3BD8F7-123B-4488-AF5B-CCCD45E5C21C.jpeg
CA7264D6-2E56-4BA9-B5A8-384A89587994.jpeg

Been using it for over a month now I think, they don’t really pull it out and make a mess of it, pretty much just stick their heads in and eat

Been using it for over a month now I think, they don’t really pull it out and make a mess of it, pretty much just stick their heads in and eat
Wow, that's great, neat eaters!!.
Mine feed from a bottom tube and a few still pile it to pull it over the 3" deep dish.
Had to put tubing on the edge to stop it.
upload_2019-7-14_19-53-54.png

Back
Top Bottom