Homemade flock block recipes

Pics
Quote:
I followed this recipe. I didn't want to be baking anything and this just sits in the fridge until it gets hard. I then let it sit on the counter for a day or 2 until it dries out a little bit. I used some old horse supplement buckets instead of the bundt pan, and it turned out great. I also mix in corn, BOSS and some chopped nuts, just whatever I have around the house. They went nuts over it and it's sure alot cheaper than the Purina block.

MMM.....gonna try this before my DH comes back from working out of state......you know, they are just chickens after all!

Going to gather my ingredients this week!

Quote:
Yep! What Beverly said!
lau.gif
gig.gif

I don't let my significant other be the superior officer at home, but he is the senior/superior officer at the police dept.
Actually a few months ago I upgraded him to fiance'. I just can't break my old habit of using SO.
smile.png

Significant Other...dah! LOL Congrats on the new fiancee' .
My DH is a retired cop so of course I would think of superior officer....
lau.gif

& I can't wait to try a bunch of these different treat blocks! I love trying new things for the chickens.

SO could also stand for Stubborn Opposition LOL
I'm going to make one of those "biddy biscuits" today. Can't wait.

I'm going to try some these! Great idea's! I used to make treats for my horse and he loved them, so why not for the chickens right? I did notice when I made the horse treats when I added apple it took forever to get hard and crunchy the way he liked them. I too spent $12 on the flock block, this sounds waaaay better! My girls are 13 weeks old, are they too young for boss? They get grit so?? I don't know, I am so new to the whole chicken thing!

it's a 25 lb block for $10.99 - I just don't see that as unreasonable. My flock of 15 spends a few weeks on one block, and it provides a nice load of protein and vitamins

Protein, not less than 8.0%
Lysine, not less than 0.30%
Methionine, not less than 0.25%
Crude Fat, not less than 2.5%
Crude Fiber, not more than 4.0%
Calcium (Ca), not less than 2.3%
Calcium (Ca), not more than 2.7%
Phosphorus (P), not less than 0.65%
Salt (Nacl), not less than 0.70%
Salt (Nacl), not more than 1.2%
Sodium (Na), not less than .35%

Ingredients:
Cracked Corn, Whole Wheat, Whole Milo, Whole Barley, Whole Sunflower Seed, Molasses, Oyster Shell, Calcium Lignin Sulfonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Granite Grit, Salt, Propionic Acit (A Preservative), Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Nicotinic Acid, Riboflavin, DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Cholecalciferol, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K), Folic Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

I gave my 9 wk. old pullets a few BOSS yesterday. They picked them up and dropped 'em.
They've never had anything with a shell before. Should I keep offering them or just wait until they're older?

Quote:
I agree especially if it last 2 weeks. I got one but am waiting for some nasty weather & then I'll give it to them. I bet they will go bonkers over it.

Hi, I've enjoyed reading all the recipes for treats. When I was little, my aunt used to keep her egg shells and bake them, then crush them up to give them to the chickens. My little Silkies are laying like crazy and I am getting overwhelmed with the eggs. Can I hardboil the eggs and just crush the shells up with the chopped eggs?

Thanks

Sher Morrow 2 Bearded Collies, 2 cats, 60+ chickens, 8 ducks, 1 bossy goose, 10 Guineas, 10 Heritage Turkeys and 4 calves...I think...
lol.png

Roscoe, Tx

Back
Top Bottom