Homemade Fly Traps ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kitty Cat, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    I've been having horrible trouble with flies these past few weeks. I've tried all kinds of things! I did apple jelly with a hint of soap, fruit juice with a drop of soap, vinegar and fruit juice with a drop of soap, soapy water, and yeast!

I've been catching more yellow jackets, wasps, and honeybees than flies! Really more yellow jackets. I don't want to catch honeybees! I just bought some fly bait from the feed store, yet I haven't caught a single fly!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for fly traps?

Honestly I've killed more flies with the fly swatter than anything else! [​IMG]

2. EM Squared Farms 2

EM Squared Farms 2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    FL
    Use what works best, Fly Swatter.

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I use a product called EZTRAP. It looks like a yellow lantern ( about 5" in Dia and 6" tall). ITS VERY STICKY and catches anything that lands on it.. I hang two in my coops. Make sure the chickens can't get to it. the one I had in my shop got a small bird. He pulled all his feathers off trying to get free. cost about $10 for two pak at local feed store.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I use Golden Malrin. It is also a fly bait, available at feed stores. It definately works. Take the lid off your stinky garbage can and sprinkle a small amount on top. There will be dead flies evrywhere. Be sure other animals can`t get at it.......Pop

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I hang vanilla Christmas trees in my coop. They are the kind used for auto air fresheners, I buy them at Wal Mart. No flies!!

6. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    You can paint a piece of plywood black and set it on 2x2 or 2x4 legs over top of a pan of soapy water. The flies are attracted to the heat emanating from the dark painted surface, bounce off of it and land in the soapy water where they drown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by