homemade greenhouse

We wanted to do this as well, but wanted to grow through the winter. If you found 130 deg. in April, I wonder if it would be warm enough in January??? (We're in Mass.)

This is the one I built, standard frame, works great and you can make it any size you want. This one is 12' by 24'.

This is the one I built, standard frame, works great and you can make it any size you want. This one is 12' by 24'.

Nice job. I like the steep roof so the snow falls off. May I ask where you got the plans?

I can't tell from the picture, but how did you seal the ridge? Most plans talk about making a ridge cap (or buying one) out of a piece of metal, but I can't figure out how to fasten it all the way along the ridge once the polycarbonate is attached. Afterall, it's not like you can climb on the roof to nail it down.

They make a ridge cap to fit they poly. Just use a long ladder at the same slope as the roof, have someone hold the bottom of the ladder then you can climb up and screw in the ridge cap. I had a 10' by 16' built this way with double wall vinal (sp) , one layer on each side of the 2 by 4 that I kept heated with a 1500 W heater all winter, lowest temp that year was only 16 above, about 50$ a mo. Wife and I toasted the new year at 70 deg in the tropical garden.
celebrate.gif
Where I live now it was 10 deg last night and winter I just starting.

Thanks, elbesta. I didn't know they make a ridge cap to fit the poly. I will have to look it up.

Did you draw up your own plans or get them somewhere? I can build, but I am not good at figuring out roof angles.

3 minutes later........

I just looked it up and found a picture.

Last edited:
12' wide works well inside so I used 8' poly, so 8' rafters. I think it worked out to a 8/12 pitch, something like that. I just build things in my head and then with my hands. That is a 1300 sq ft 3 bed 2 bath log house with 2by 4 int walls inside the logs behind the green house that I built with no plans. And yes been living in it over a year and still standing.
celebrate.gif

This is a pic when I was building it.

Still a work in progress.

Wow. Real nice job! It looks great.

Yup...I'm like you. I kind of figure out what I want in my head, jot a few things down, and make revisions as I go along. I just thought for my greenhouse I would follow a set of plans, but I'll probably build it the same way I build everything. I built my chicken coop and run that way.

BTW...I just noticed you are new to our forum here, so a big
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom