homemade greenhouse

mlongworth

Songster
10 Years
Dec 11, 2012
indiana
I am looking for ideas or plans for a diy greenhouse. We live in the middle of town so i dont want an eyesore. I dont have a lot of room for a big hoop house. If you have done this please help me out.

I haven't done this myself but have you thought of using an old swing set frame? I see them on Craisglist all the time. Just cover with clear plastic. They aren’t too big and you could probably disassemble and store inconspicuously when not in use. good luck!

I built a 9 foot by 11 foot greenhouse with 2x4's .I have a plywood floor and it is working very well .It's covered with a heavy poly ( double layer ) so the light is difused so I don't get burn out .
EGpics096_zps4819d156.jpg

I saw a cute tiny greenhouse yesterday that someone made from old windows with the tiny panes. I wish I had kept my old windows when I replaced them. This one was only maybe 5X5 Ft.

I built an 8' x 8' hoop house last year out of 2 cattle panels with 2 x 3 and 2 x 4 framing for end walls, base frame and ridge pole. It is very sturdy, withstood heavy snow load last winter, and wintered over lettuce seedlings placed in it just before the ground froze outside. I'm currently ripping out a bumper crop of lettuce and self seeded dill to make room for tomato, pepper and basil plants. Plan to let them benefit from the extra heat, will leave the doors open all summer, and vent the poly as needed. This fall, I may give it a skin of chicken wire and new poly, then let the chickens have it for a sun room. The coop is of similar design with the back end divided into 2 levels to give them more space.

I found a few really nice ones today when I was searching on a site called Build a Greenhouse Plans.

I really like a couple of the larger ones...just trying to decide whether or not I want to pay the $37 for the plans.

I want my greenhouse to also be aesthetically pleasing since I plan to make it a focal point in my backyard garden along with my chicken coop.

Last edited:
I built a 9 foot by 11 foot greenhouse with 2x4's .I have a plywood floor and it is working very well .It's covered with a heavy poly ( double layer ) so the light is difused so I don't get burn out .
EGpics096_zps4819d156.jpg

We built a greenhouse almost exactly like this and boy is it hot! We did a double layer of poly both inside and outside the 2x4 studs (with firring strips screwed along the outside to prevent it tearing in the wind--just like in your pic.) Our only difference is that the roof if made of clear Sun-tuff panels.

After it reached over 130 degrees inside in APRIL (!!) I cut a vent near the top and now leave both double doors open every sunny day. Even with the vent and the doors open it still gets over 100. This'll be great for the tomatoes and peppers but it made it impossible to grow lettuce and spinach in the early spring as I'd hoped--they went to seed immediately.

We built a greenhouse almost exactly like this and boy is it hot! We did a double layer of poly both inside and outside the 2x4 studs (with firring strips screwed along the outside to prevent it tearing in the wind--just like in your pic.) Our only difference is that the roof if made of clear Sun-tuff panels.

After it reached over 130 degrees inside in APRIL (!!) I cut a vent near the top and now leave both double doors open every sunny day. Even with the vent and the doors open it still gets over 100. This'll be great for the tomatoes and peppers but it made it impossible to grow lettuce and spinach in the early spring as I'd hoped--they went to seed immediately.
Yep , I have to open the door every morning ! I have a roof vent cylinder that I need to install with vent .......just not sure I want to put it on the roof ? If it rains I don't want the water getting in so I think I'll put it at the end .I had thought of doing poly inside as well ? but I can always do it yet if I feel the need .But it sure does the trick , with our cooler springs it is a welcome addition to start seeds earlier

Google, 'build your own plastic bottle green house' and see how the children in a UK school completed this project. List of materials and tools included. Aaah the inventiveness of the Brits!

Back
Top Bottom