Homemade GUMP Bread - best I've found! **New pics added on pg. 5**

Acre, I have one of those adjustable bread pans; bought it in the late '70s. It has been well used here, for bread and banana nut bread. I really like mine.

So they are really used for bread.....
cool.png
I'll have to post a pic

Last edited:
Here one of the pans that I have. Sorry for the glare. If I remember correctly.....I only paid 35 cents each for these pans. They have inches on one side and centimeters on the other side. They are really cool adn I am glad that I splurged to buy them when I did.
smile.png

Here is is as one piece.....

family2008004.jpg

Here it is taken apart.....

family2008005.jpg

Blossomhen--does yours look like this?

Maybe by posting these pics someone here may see some at a yard sale or thrift store and now they will have a use for them.
smile.png

Gumpsgirl... I dont know what I did wrong this time? I've made it 2 other times and it was great, but not today. It didnt rise in the bowl, but I thought well maybe it will rise on the pans, nope. Then I thought well maybe it will rise in the oven... nope. It was awful, I must have done something wrong this time. Do you think it didnt work cause it was alittle cold in the house? My water was hot, we have to boil our water right now, so maybe I didnt let it cool enough before I used it? Going to try again tomorrow.

Jen, I made my third batch of loaves tonight. For whatever reason it
didn't rise as much as last time. It still came out delicious.

The second time I made the dough I used 3 cups whole wheat and 2
cups bread flour. I mixed it in a metal dish. It was so fluffy after 25
minutes. Tonight it didn't rise as much nor did it rose as a loaf or as
much while cooking. I used the same ingredients too. Again, it was
super good just not as puffed.

Humidity in our homes is a big factor in rising, too little and it doesn't rise as well or at all, Iodized salt will kill yeast, and then again no rising takes place.

AL

Quote:
I was hoping you would chime in on this. I used 1/2 cup too much flour,
then after mixing the dough I had to add a touch of water and knead
again. Then I didn't cover the bowl for the first 10 minutes and I used
a regular bowl instead of the metal one I used last time. Too many
variables... The bread still rose, just not as much. It's not dense at all.
Me and the kid ate a half a loaf and a 5 pound rotiseried Ranger for
dinner.

Man, I'm so full.
smile.png

Quote:
Too many variables...

You nailed it, making bread for me can sometimes feel like a science experiment, unlike other recipes they have no room for error, bread is very unforgiving and can humble the best bakers.

AL

Back
Top Bottom