Homemade hatcher (incubator)

SpotTheCat

Herding cats
Jan 19, 2021
UK
I am thinking about making a incubator to be used as a hatcher ( is hatcher the correct word? An incubator which is only used when the eggs are in lockdown is what I want).
Is it possible to make a incubator that works well?
Whats the best thing to build it out of (As in what to use as the incubator’s exoskeleton/shell, not sure what to call it)?
What things do I need to make an incubator (like a heat source)?
If I am only using it to hatch them at lockdown do I need a fan or will the fan still help?

I tried looking it up there are too many different ones, Most don’t tell you if it they ever worked well or not, lots are made out of cardboard or something like that which is not what I want, other ones are cabinet incubator which I am not sure I want.

I build all mine myself and the brooder is the easiest. Temps don't need to remain as steady as chicks can already autoregulate their temperature by wandering from a cold to warm area. So all you need is a heat source and the cheapest and easiest is a reptile heat mat. They are not good to use in incubators as they are slow to heat up but in the brooder they are great. I use a 60x40 styrofoam shipping box with a heat mat.

Generally the heat source is placed on small legs so it heats from above. This is far safer than heating from below. Never let chicks fall asleep on a heatmat- that can cause them to overheat so if you place the heatmat on some supports to raise it so the chicks can wander underneath it you will create a warm area set to the right temp and have a cooler area they can walk to aswell.

you will either need an adjustable heat mat or a better but more expensive choice would be a thermostat to keep temps steady

I build all mine myself and the brooder is the easiest. Temps don't need to remain as steady as chicks can already autoregulate their temperature by wandering from a cold to warm area. So all you need is a heat source and the cheapest and easiest is a reptile heat mat. They are not good to use in incubators as they are slow to heat up but in the brooder they are great. I use a 60x40 styrofoam shipping box with a heat mat.

Generally the heat source is placed on small legs so it heats from above. This is far safer than heating from below. Never let chicks fall asleep on a heatmat- that can cause them to overheat so if you place the heatmat on some supports to raise it so the chicks can wander underneath it you will create a warm area set to the right temp and have a cooler area they can walk to aswell.
I have a brooder, I am looking at making a incubator which is only used for the last 3 days of incubation.

ah that is the most crucial time. To be honest it isn't that easy just setting it up. It takes 3 days minimum imo and that is once you know what you are doing in order to get temp and humidity to stay stable. If you have to make adjustments that is but things never go as planned.

I have found the biggest problem is the heat source. A heat lamp is reliable but they are very bulky. A heatmat like I mentioned responds too slowly. Most good incubators I have seen use heat cable wrapped around the fan but I wouldn't know how to wire that.

I have tried using a pct heater recently but I had to order 3 differnt ones before I got the right one, first one was too weak, second was too strong.

Is it worth it? I like to learn how things work so for me its been a fun addition but most would probably prefer a ready made no fuss aproach.

I should probably also add the costs of my latest incubator, I still think my home built ones are built better than budget incubators but it does add up:

Fan: £6
Usb plug £1
Usb extension cable £2
PCT Heater £6
12V 2A Transformer £6
Reptile thermostat £14
Bowl £0.5
Salad Spinner £4.50
Bowl £1
External Thermometer/Hygrometer £13

Total: £54

Last edited:
I have found the biggest problem is the heat source. A heat lamp is reliable but they are very bulky. A heatmat like I mentioned responds too slowly. Most good incubators I have seen use heat cable wrapped around the fan but I wouldn't know how to wire that.

I have tried using a pct heater recently but I had to order 3 differnt ones before I got the right one, first one was too weak, second was too strong.
Which do you think is better pct heater or heat lamp?
Is it worth it? I like to learn how things work so for me its been a fun addition but most would probably prefer a ready made no fuss aproach.

I should probably also add the costs of my latest incubator, I still think my home built ones are built better than budget incubators but it does add up:

Fan: £6
Usb plug £1
Usb extension cable £2
PCT Heater £6
12V 2A Transformer £6
Reptile thermostat £14
Bowl £0.5
Salad Spinner £4.50
Bowl £1
External Thermometer/Hygrometer £13

Total: £54
I am making it to learn and for fun, but I don’t want to make something which won’t really work at all.

Thank you this is all very helpful.

I built one and it only cost 18 bucks to make. It was my first time hatching eggs and I decided to put something together since incubators are too expensive and I looked up some stuff and ended up making one. I hatched 4 out of 6 eggs. It’s not hard and they work well if you have the right stuff! I can tell you everything you still want to make one.
This was only 4 weeks ago. I’m still very very new to the hatching game but it 100% works.

Attachments

• 188F070B-FEB6-41A9-BCCD-002942FE1FB3.jpeg
    188F070B-FEB6-41A9-BCCD-002942FE1FB3.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 23
  • AD2C977C-5233-4066-B4DF-D3D9BAFEA49D.jpeg
    AD2C977C-5233-4066-B4DF-D3D9BAFEA49D.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 4611743B-6A14-47C3-BCBF-32B0E6C75E0B.jpeg
    4611743B-6A14-47C3-BCBF-32B0E6C75E0B.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 399F4B91-0AB0-4B92-B749-118B7E761C97.jpeg
    399F4B91-0AB0-4B92-B749-118B7E761C97.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 4FFFFDFE-0E39-4C4B-B471-039AAE4690C3.jpeg
    4FFFFDFE-0E39-4C4B-B471-039AAE4690C3.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 7275DFB1-4398-4B47-950D-4AAADB44D85D.jpeg
    7275DFB1-4398-4B47-950D-4AAADB44D85D.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 17
I built one and it only cost 18 bucks to make. It was my first time hatching eggs and I decided to put something together since incubators are too expensive and I looked up some stuff and ended up making one. I hatched 4 out of 6 eggs. It’s not hard and they work well if you have the right stuff! I can tell you everything you still want to make one.
This was only 4 weeks ago. I’m still very very new to the hatching game but it 100% works.
I am still looking at making one.
If you could tell me what you did that would be very helpful thank you.

Go on eBay and look at this link and pick a thermostat, the one I purchased is w1209 and the xhw3001 thermostats but there is way better ones on there and this was the one I bought because it was cheap for only 5 bucks and I wanted to test my equipment to see if it would even work and it did. The next one I’m getting is the stc-1000 which is a very good one. Next you will need a light bulb, a light bulb socket which can be purchased at any home improvement store for 2-4 dollars depending on the amount of wattage you want it to hold. But get a 80w limit to be safe since you will be using a light bulb. Get a 45w light bulb. No LED. Next go on eBay and purchase a cheap computer fan. You can get some for 3 dollars and free shipping. You will need a aluminum foil cooking tray, mesh place mats and a little tiny bowl you can put water in to keep humidity. The last thing you need is a styrofoam cooler. The thicker the better. Oh and I almost forgot, a picture frame to make a window. I’ll send you a link to the thermostats and I’ll show you pictures of each individual item. Make sure you buy the thermostat that says 120 volts not 12v. Make sure you also get extensions cord wires from the home improvement store. You will need two extension cords that are about 2 feet long. They are very very cheap. The rest is just putting to together. I can help you along the way as much as you would like me to.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...2334524.m4084.l1311&_odkw=thermostat&_sacat=0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 13
These guys hatched out from my 15 dollar homemade incubator, 4 out of 6 eggs made it. That’s from the top looking through the window. If I can help you with anything else please let me know. It’s very very easy and if you have any questions please feel free to get back to me.. the w1209 thermostat is a very good one and the xh isn’t that good so stick with w1209 or the stc1000. If you get confused or not sure about anything let me know and I’ll get you through it. When are you planning on starting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom