Homemade heating pad Incubator + farmers market eggs (working!!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mangobees, Aug 8, 2016.

1. mangobees

mangobees Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Central TX
    About a week ago, I for some reason wanted to try and incubate some chicken eggs. But I wanted to do it in an unconventional way (well, i didn't want to, i had to because i couldn't buy an incubator) So I got an old heating pad (one that never shuts off) and a Styrofoam cooler. I placed the heating pad at the bottom and stacked towels until I got a temp between 100-105. To get this temp I also had to crack the lid open. It was fairly stable, and I know 105 is very hot BUT the internal temp of the eggs stayed at around 99 degrees.A lot of this was inspired by the Simulated Natural Nest Incubation

Then I went to a farmers market and picked up a dozen refrigerated eggs. I broke two of them to test for fertility and it seemed like they were.
    So, I placed the rest into an incubator. They're all different colors, blue, dark brown, greenish, speckled.
    I candled them and the air pockets were all in the right place. I turned them by hand whenever I remembered to, about 5 times a day.

Day 2: a temperature spike. I had left the styrofoam cover on all night by mistake and the eggs were wayy too warm. I lost hope but I continued.

Day 3: The day I'm on now. Today I broke open one of the eggs. It was developing!!!! Blood vessels were forming. I feel guilty but extremely exited at the same time!!!
    My awful incubator is working. Somehow, this is working.

Now I'm writing this thread so others can follow this experiment. I really hope these eggies hatch [​IMG] I'm going to candle on day 6 and show you guys what I see.

Hatch date: 26 August.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. mangobees

Nov 8, 2015
    Central TX
    [​IMG]
    The Set-Up

3. mangobees

Nov 8, 2015
    Central TX
    Just candled the eggs and saw the beginnings of blood vessels!!!! [​IMG]

4. mangobees

Nov 8, 2015
    Central TX
    [​IMG]

5. redguinea

redguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    Very cool. Keep me updated

6. dawnpel

dawnpel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    Sidney, Maine
    Wow what a good idea! I will follow this.....:cd

7. mangobees

Nov 8, 2015
    Central TX
    7 out of 7 eggs are showing signs of development! chicken development is amazing and im thankful i can see such an beautiful thing!

8. mangobees

Nov 8, 2015
    Central TX
    Update! Two eggs died on day six, so there is five left. All currently healthy an 14 days old. I hope they make it to hatching! [​IMG]

9. Chickies2020

Chickies2020 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2015
    Very cool. Following :)

10. mangobees

Nov 8, 2015
    Central TX
    [​IMG]
    From a couple of days ago!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by