Homemade Hen Feed - Expert help needed!

Gammond

Songster
Aug 31, 2016
Central BC, Canada
We have 70 hens.

I found an ad in the local paper advertising homemade chicken feed. Can you tell me what you would have mixed as far as ratios and types of grains? I am no expert and don't really understand how it all works. I do want to keep protein quite high: around 19-22%.

What would you get mixed? Also, would you get it CHOPPED ROLLED OR WHOLE

Check out the attachment.
feed.PNG

Last edited:
What's listed isn't a complete chicken feed. If they are mixing in layer feed or grower feed into that mix then you might as well just buy regular chicken feed from a feed lot and not mess with this mix.

I have access to a lot of cheap whole grains in this area. If I can make my chicken food for the fraction of the cost, I definitely want to research it. This guy said he can add minerals.
I'm just looking for a simple homemade recipe that must have worked for years and years before....

Protein content wise the three ingredients they list in ad if blended 25 oats/ 25 barley/ 50 peas makes for 18-19% protein. How nutritionally balanced those three ingredients are I've no idea. I'd assume vitamins would have to be added, specifically Vitamin B's and whatever minerals are lacking. It would require research to determine what's missing for complete feed.

Protein content wise the three ingredients they list in ad if blended 25 oats/ 25 barley/ 50 peas makes for 18-19% protein. How nutritionally balanced those three ingredients are I've no idea. I'd assume vitamins would have to be added, specifically Vitamin B's and whatever minerals are lacking. It would require research to determine what's missing for complete feed.
Thank you! Do you have a calculation you can share to show how you figured out the protein?
I am going to get the standard chicken feed recipe that this guy mixes for local farmer and then post it here. I'm hoping he has something like this. I will also do a bunch more research!

Hi there. If you'll pm me with an email address I can provide you with a calculator. For your mineral pack (you're most expensive ingredient) I recommend Fertrell Nutri-balancer. For anything other than turkey/gamebird starter use it at 60 pounds per ton.

Here's what 25/25/50 would look like but it exceeds the 15% limit for oats and barley.
Nutrient Name: Amount Units
Crude Protein 17.5% %
Crude Fat 3.5% %
Crude Fiber 5.2% %
Calcium 0.07% %
Phosphorus 0.42% %
Salt added 0.00% %
Sodium 0.03% % per KG
Energy 1,238 Kcal/LB 2722.5
Vitamin A 0 IU/LB 0
Vitamin D 0 IU/LB 0
Vitamin E 0 IU/LB 0