Homemade Ice Cream Cake

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
I made this for DH's birthday and it was a really big hit.

Homemade Ice Cream Cake
1-BOX BUTTER (Duncan Hines) recipe cake mix (flavor of choice)
1 teaspoons soda
1 stick of butter- softened
Mix dry ingredients together, cut in butter.

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vinegar
Put vinegar into measuring cup then add enough milk to make one cup, let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.

3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Add wet ingredients to dry and beat 4 minutes. Bake at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes .... makes 3 (9-inch)layer

After cakes are cooled place them into the freezer to freeze.

Soften ice cream by leaving it to sit in the refrigerator while the cake freezes.

Place first layer of cake of the serving plate and scoop about 1/3 of a 1/2 gallon carton of ice cream onto the frozen cake. Place the second cake layer on top of the ice cream and mash down to evenly spread the ice cream out to the edges of the cake...repeat with the next layer and frost with whipped cream frosting. Freeze cake solid before cutting.

Whipped Cream Frosting

1-1/2 cups of whipping cream
1/2- cup powdered sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat together until stiff. Frost cake, store in the freezer.

icecreamcake002small.jpg

My family all want ice cream cake for their birthdays and I got tired of driving 140 mile round trip to the nearest city to buy one so I decided to try making one myself. I will say that I was very pleased with the results.

My oh my, that looks great!

Everyone loves ice cream. I've been making this pie for many years. Got the recipe off the side of a Pillsbury cake mix box. I'm not even sure if these cake mix flavors are still around.

I love to cook, but am not much of a baker. This is easy peasy so it's right up my alley! This is the recipe as it appeared on the cake mix box, but of course you could change up the cake or ice cream flavors. One combination that has been a hit at our house is chocolate cake and mocha ice cream

PIE SHELLS

1 pkg Pillsbury Plus Devil's Food, Dark Chocolate, or Chocolate Mint cake mix

3/4 cup Pillsbury Ready to Spread Chocolate Fudge Frosting Supreme

3/4 cup water

1/4 cup oil

FILLING

6 cups (1-1/2 quarts) mint chocolate chipe or your favorite ice cream, softened

Heat oven to 350.

Generously grease bottom, sides, and rim of two 9-inch pie pans or round cake pans. DO NOT USE 8 INCH PIE OR CAKE PANS.

In large bowl, blend all shell ingredients at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at highest speed. Spread half the batter (2-1/4 cups) in bottom of each pan. Do NOT spread up the sides of pan.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cakes will collapse to form shells. Cool completely. (After cooling, I press the shells a little all the way around the bottom and sides to make them even.)

In large bowl blend ice cream until smooth. Spread evenly in center of each shell leaving a 1/2 inch rim. If desired, heat remaining frosting just until softened. Drop by spoonfuls on top of ice cream. Swirl with knife. Freeze at least 2 hours. Store in freezer. Wrap frozen pies airtight to avoid freezer burn.

Makes 2 pies, 12 servings.

HIGH ALTITUDE- Above 3500 feet: No change.

Back
Top Bottom