homemade incubator birth story with pics.

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
So we made a bator with a box, heat lamp, bowl of water and thermometer. I had shavings on the bottom but another poster suggested I cover the shavings because the chicks might eat them. Anyway, I kept the temp around 100 and I never knew the humidity but I kept the bowl of water full. I added sponges at day 20 incase the chicks fell in the bowl when they hatched. I had the eggs in line on both sides of the bowl and I numbered them or lettered them. Every 2 days I would rotate the eggs, like 1,2,3... I would move it to 3,1,2 and so forth, so that they all had a chance in a different spot to the heat source. I turned the eggs at least 2 times a day but tried to do it 3 times. Out of 8 eggs I have 2 hatched so far!!

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

How cute!

I'm on day 15 of my hatch, so exciting!!

Oh, and I guess it's possible, but I always use shavings with day old chicks.... I've never had one who didn't know the difference between food and shavings, I've never had one eat shavings
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

That is so neat. Where did you get your eggs? I have 12 due in 4 days. Got my eggs from a guy across the road. Don't know if they are fertile or not. I built my Bator out of a old metal coleman cooler. I'm in KY also. Your chicks are great looking.
Good Luck 4est

OOH! So cute.
I'm on day 16 of my first hatch. I can't wait for this weekend. I've been turning down all parties and my friends can't understand what can be so important about staring at an incubator all weekend.

One even suggested that I number all the eggs and we can have a betting pool. I think everyone's going to come over and drink. Ha Ha!!!

Back
Top Bottom