Homemade Incubator: Help with putting parts together!!! Pics!

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
So far, I have gathered all of my parts that I need to build my homemade incubator (which will be in a 100q Igloo ice chest).
wee.gif
But I don't know if they will work.
idunno.gif

These are all the parts that I have:

-Large outlet plug-in PC fan (not really a PC fan, but more of a bigger version that only plugs into an outlet)

-Digital temperature and non-digital humidity meter... water wiggler included for temp. meter

-Homemade manual-turn egg turners (the same thing as GopherBoy's GopherBator)

-Portable Forced Air Heater Thermostat (this is what I am mostly wondering about; I don't know if it will work, but my dad found it at a thrift store and decided to get it to see if I could use it.)

-Some kind of "lamp kit" (but it's just a bulb socket and a cord that plugs into an outlet

Here's some pics of all the parts that I need help putting together:
14678_bator_parts_paint1.jpg

Thermostat:
14678_randompics_039.jpg

14678_randompics_040.jpg

Last edited:
Sooo....basically, I'm mostly wondering if this thermostat will work. The switch that you turn to choose what temp. you want it at only goes up to 90*F, so I'm wondering if I get a 40watt bulb(which is too hot for the incubator), will it even that out to a lower temp.?

Any thoughts???

the only heat source i used in my home made incubator was a 60w light bulb and it kept really stable temp with ventilation. so a 40w may be too much but then you could always turn the heat on the heater down to regulate it. good luck building your incubator and keep us posted with your progress please.

i only use 5 watt bulb, and if i don't open 4 vents then i could have baked eggs since it can reach 50 deg celcius inside. and i don't have any thermostat (expensive here). so i predict the temp at morning,day and night so i can count how many vents to open each time and control them manually when turn egg.
smile.png

From the pictures it looks like the thermostat only goes up to 90. If so, your incubator will never get hot enough because the thermostat will keep turning your heat source off at 90.

ahh... i didn't even think bout the thermostat turning off. but that's true so it would probably be best not to use the thermostat and just use the light with a 60w bulb but be sure to have ventilation holes and a couple thermometers. i have one on top of my eggs and 1 beside them so i have the egg temp and the air temp. ( i'm not a pro by no means so you might want to see what everyone else thinks...lol) again best of luck to you!
smile.png

wow, srsmith69 and abooth, both of you are good observer, i even don't think to see the thermostat control *pad*.
smile.png

just till 90deg, and unfortunately US use fahrenheit, will be great if that's in celcius, 90 deg celcius can be use to boil water (actually need 100deg celcius).

A water heater thermostat at Lowes or home depot should run around 8 or 9 dollars. The temp range on them is 90 to 150. That's what most of the homemade incubators I've read about on here use

Back
Top Bottom