Homemade Incubator - Temperature/Thermostat Problems!

Quote:
I'll have to try that now. I did add some little straw pieces to move it away from the wall, and adjusted the temp a bit but all I got was off at 102 and on at 90. Totally weird. I will try putting it right next to the light, backside to it. If that doesn't work, I guess we'll have to be drilling some holes like the video suggested... *sigh*
idunno.gif

Quote:
x2

I bought a digital one with a digital thermometer in it that cost 70 euros and I did not regret it.

It gets from 99.5 to 99.9 not more.

It is amazing.

Last 1/2 hour with the back of the thermostat about 2" from the light. Going off at 98 degrees, on at 90 degrees... Just can't regulate it. I better figure it out by Thursday!

I had to put the back of my thermostat right up to the light bulb before it made a difference. I have two homemade fridge incubators. One has the thermostat about 1/2 inch away and the other is about 1/8 inch away. I also have 2 fans. One with a fresh air hole behind it, and the other blows across the bulb and thermostat which circulates the air. That fan may also help with regulating the thermostat too by keeping the temperature even throughout, but that is just a theory I can't prove yet. But the main thing that got it right was getting the back of the thermostat very close to the bulb.

Quote:
I also put mine about 2 inches from light bulb, bought a small personal fan from walmart, replaced the PC fan with this and WOW my temps stay steady at 99-100! I also added small jars with water for heat sinks.
53291_2011-07-11_06-26-17_332.jpg

53291_img-20110612-00059.jpg

Good Luck
Ayda

Quote:
the point of showing the first link to you was so that you would understand, to move the thermostat closer to the bulb and get very accurate temperature, but you need a fan, you have one dont you, and also the second link was something to make your thermostat more sensitive to temperature change,,,,, i got very good results drilling the holes in my thermostat, but if the drill is not available dont fret you can just move the thermostat very close to the bulb, and get a great incubator from that,,,,,, i was very nervous about drilling holes into my thermostat as well, but i did it and it was super easy, i try to be very tight with my money and i absolutely didn't want to ruin my thermostat by drilling holes to fast or slip and break the thermostat, but i did it and it was just fine, and i did it in NO time at all,,,,,, if that is the case don't worry,,, the thermostats are actually stronger than you would think

atleast im not the only one having problems. I finally just gave up with the thermostat and light bulb and just used 4 reptile heat pads (2 med. and 2 small) I had when I had my snakes and bearded dragon.

Temp stayed between 98*F and 100*F but only IF I shut off the AC to our bedroom... My styafoam cooler verries so much with just a little bit of air (fan or AC)... Im thinking of just scrapping the Styafoam and go with a plastic cooler..

build you a wood box, try for at least 1 in. thick, if not put 2 peices of 3/4 together, it holds heat & mosture so good. I love mine.

For holding in heat and moisture I've added the insulated duct silver covering stuff (can't think of the name!) to the sides of the tub. I'm hoping that will help.

I moved the thermostat within 1" of the lightbulb.

Had to turn the thermostat to almost 120 degrees though because the thermometer is where the eggs will be at, and with the thermostat at around 120, the thermometer reads 100 degrees. Still avariance of two degrees. Goes off at 100, comes on at 98.

thermostat.jpg

Now, I read on another thread that with fan and without fan, temps should be different, as will humidity levels. What should they be? Does humidity stay the same throughout the whole 21 days? My fan is on the opposite side of the light, by where the eggs will be... does that sound right?

Back
Top Bottom