homemade incubator thermostat for ones with the bulbs as heat

swiftfoot

Songster
12 Years
Dec 23, 2007
Blountville , TN
many people have asked me how to get a thermostat and where for their homemade incubators here is what i told them:
go to a local hardware store and buy a lamp or light dimer(lowes or homedepot etc.)
plug your incubator bulb electric source int the dimmer
when your temp is to high dim the lights a little (or vice versa) wich reduces the heat
this has only been tested on homemade incuabtors with lightbulbs for a heatsource

With this method, do make sure the room you are in, the temps day and night don't fluctuate and there are no drafts since the dimmer isn't going to control the temp per se, just set the lamp at a certain output.

doesnt the flucuation temp. rule go with all incubators
hmm.png
[/img]

Quote:
It works because you set the dimmer to a point where the heat given out by the bulb equals the heat being lost by the incubator.

It ONLY works in absolutely stable rooms.

It does sound like a good idea but I dont know how you can get that stable of a room temperature----how about a wafer thermostat hooked up in parallel with a dimmer switch--set both and if for some chance the room temperature varies to a dangerouse level than the wafer thermostat can shut the light off. The dimmer switch doesnt cost much though. Where as the wafer thermostat is a bit more. Combined together I think it could be as good as an electronic thermostat at about 1/4 - 1/3 the cost.

It works best in the basement . In rooms where there are no exterior walls or windows. If you use this method, keep away from the window, put your bator in a cardboard box and put it by a interior wall. If you need something that regulates the teperature by switching the light on and off , you need to use a thermostat type that would be used with a A/C or heat system. The most popular ones are made by Ranco and Johnson. And those are still around 40+$. so you might as well buy a cheap bator.

Back
Top Bottom