Homemade Incubators

how do you make it (one for winter warmth)
idunno.gif

Here is my homemade hatcher its not fancy but it does hold perfect temp and humidity and it cost about 20 biucks....
79101_100b5240.jpg

and it does work...
79101_100_5251.jpg
          here is a pic of my homemade bator .
79101_100_5261.jpg

How does it work? I have a Incubator made like that, but the temperature soared the first time I used it.

For those of you that feel if you could have a do over, what exactly would you do differently?
Make it bigger?
Make it smaller?
Brands?
Which brands are the best?
Which Companies were easy to work with?
Are you completely happy with your creation?
Would not change a thing?

For those of you that feel if you could have a do over, what exactly would you do differently?
Make it bigger?
Make it smaller?
Brands?
Which brands are the best?
Which Companies were easy to work with?
Are you completely happy with your creation?
Would not change a thing?

I would not change a thing on my incubator and hatcher I built(see in the pic under my name)-----both were mainly built out of things I had, even the plywood was free. I bought a few things. It was my first incubator build----yes they do look very much like some factory built ones on the market, but they are home-made. I hatched over 5600 in the hatcher in a little over a year----the incubator stayed pretty much full for 1 1/2 years, but I do have other incubators that were going some at that time. I ran a 95 to 100% hatch rate for each set for the 5600+ eggs hatched.

Last edited:
Greetings to all you chicken geniuses out there! I have a slight concern with my (tested out at 100% okay but still untried) homemade incubator. The "floor" is a 1/8" steel wire mesh. Could this possibly cause any sort of "leeching" problem into my eggs? Should I maybe take some plastic and cover the steel? (with airholes, of course) Orrrr....I could drill 1,000 holes in a thin piece of plastic coated paneling? Any thoughts? I need to fire this puppy up in the next 48.

CK

Greetings to all you chicken geniuses out there! I have a slight concern with my (tested out at 100% okay but still untried) homemade incubator. The "floor" is a 1/8" steel wire mesh. Could this possibly cause any sort of "leeching" problem into my eggs? Should I maybe take some plastic and cover the steel? (with airholes, of course) Orrrr....I could drill 1,000 holes in a thin piece of plastic coated paneling? Any thoughts? I need to fire this puppy up in the next 48.

CK

Most all the Styrofoam incubators have a steel mesh/wire floor, but usually 1/4". Shouldn't be no problem. Now, where and how do you have your fresh air exchange holes set-up? You got your heater part in one, blowing I guess into the other?? Can you share how you got that set-up? Thanks

Last edited:
Large hole between them, long, thin slot at bottom of left cooler to exhaust.
1/4 inch refers to size of wire, not hole size.

CK

Back
Top Bottom