Homemade Incubators

Large hole between them, long, thin slot at bottom of left cooler to exhaust.
1/4 inch refers to size of wire, not hole size.

CK

1/4" wire is 1/4" center to center----sure the hole might be 3/16ths to 7/32nd.
So you are saying your heat is "blown"(is there a fan) into the "egg part" then right on out through a slot on the left of the egg part to the outside? If So how high can you get the humidity in the "egg" part?

Last edited:
the hygrometer said constant 75% humidity and between 100 and 102 was easily achieved since I made the fan a 5 speed!

I ran it for days to test it.

CK

My mistake, I meant to say 1/8TH inch refers to wire thickness. There is indeed a 1/4 inch hole......but because of the thickness of the wire, it's super heavy duty. I used sheets to cover my coop windows. A grizzly would have a hard time getting into MY coop! lol.

Sorry for the typo.

CK

the hygrometer said constant 75% humidity and between 100 and 102 was easily achieved since I made the fan a 5 speed!

I ran it for days to test it.

CK
75% will be good for hatching, so remember the set-up----you will need it ALOT lower for incubating----around 30 to 40% should be good. Can/will it get down to that?? I do not know your water set-up but it would have to be a lot less water surface than you got now to get down to that.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere here that 75% was ideal. Either way, I can adjust humidity inside as easily as I can the temperature! :)
To be honest, I had to strive to achieve 75%! lol

CK

Utilizing a 12v computer case fan and an adjustable voltage wall wart adjusts air flow and temp, the moisture is simply a bowl of water and a sponge or rag. I have a digital hygrometer inside the egg section. The glass windows are double pane. This will sit at my feet all day for 3 weeks and I'll likely be sitting here when they first start pipping. I'm now researching other member's brooders and will begin that soon to be ready for them.

CK

Okay, I think this should alleviate my concerns about the eggs touching the old steel screen.
Any problems with a clean, crocheted washrag? I'll be using non-latex gloves in my daily turnings in case any are allergic to latex...... :)

CK

Okay, I think this should alleviate my concerns about the eggs touching the old steel screen.
Any problems with a clean, crocheted washrag? I'll be using non-latex gloves in my daily turnings in case any are allergic to latex...... :)

CK
""""I""" would not use the rag----I would just lay the eggs on the wire bottom. I don't like to use anything that restricts air movement around the eggs and I assure you if your hands are clean you do not need Gloves. I would try a water container about 1/2 the width/length, depth is fine and test it before putting the eggs in. I do not know where you read 75% but having hatched 1000's and 1000's I can assure you thats to high for the incubation. You would want to get back to that the last 3 days when you stop turning the eggs and let them hatch.

Ah, thank you. That would explain where I got the 75% figure from. I made this last year. Good to know now since it was simple to keep it at 30 and 40. :) I had to add a larger bowl and rag to get it to 75. The opening between the two containers is high and allows air to pass over the eggs freely and exhaust below the screen which sits on 2x2s. The rag has tons of holes so I don't think it'll matter. I think I personally should still use the gloves since I'm usually covered in grease, oil, tar, dirt, you name it. Just to be safe I guess.

CK

What is the ideal temperature range for incubating and hatching? I'm firing this puppy up now! lol What humidity is too high during incubation?

Thank you for all your input!

CK

Back
Top Bottom