homemade mayo

chickengirl1193

Songster
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
north Jersey
So I just made my first ever batch of mayo and then used it to make egg salad. My grandma and some others are coming over today for.her birthday and we are having the egg salad for lunch. Should I be worried that we will get sick from my homemade mayo? My eggs are very clean

I used to use my own eggs for mayo all the time, no issues. I'd never, ever use a store egg for mayo, I'd be too scared. I know my flock is healthy and have never been afraid to ingest raw eggs from them.

Coddle your eggs, whether store bought or from your flock. I was taught that over and over in chef school. Whether it is for mayo, caesar's salad dressing. Coddle you say. what's that mean : place eggs that are at room temp into a pot of boiling water with a slotted spoon or spider basket. Let them simmer in the boiling water 45 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon or a spider basket and use in your recipe.

Safety first, don't want to be known as the person that made your family or friends sick. In warmer weather do not leave items made with homemade mayo out in hot weather ESPECIALLY direct sun for more than 2 hours. So from fridge to table and back into a cold fridge, served in a shaded area, no more than 2 hours. When I worked in this Sicilian place they did a lot of specialty items for their deli case and made them with their store made mayo. BUT if they did a catering gig it was commercial mayo (pasteurized) only and the boss was really very specific about things being refrigerated in transit AND after 2 hours it was 86'ed.

BE SAFE, NOT SORRY...

BigMike

Last edited:
Thank you to both of you for the great info :) I did notcoddle my eeggs but we are all okay. I will probably do that from now on though just to be safe. What is the.most common danger? Salmonella?

Yes salmonella is the most common. Long before we were allowed to work in the Culinary Academy kitchens we had to pass a National Food Safety Course and be certified.

http://www.nrfsp.com

http://www.servsafe.com/students/takingexam

I heard the mantra again and again. There is a 4 hour food safety window. From the time you purchase your ingredients to the time the food is refrigerated after service, a four hour "clock" is ticking. It may sound Orwellian but this is the amount of time at room temperature that food will begin to allow bacteria to grow. Was taught it again and again in production classes, was taught it again in the restaurant world. I DID see students and some customers at the Academy Grill get food poisoning from eating Caesar's Salad where some careless student did not use pasteurized eggs to make the dressing. Not pleasant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom