Homemade tomato soup/Freeze those extra tomatoes!

TerriLaChicks

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Central Louisiana
Our garden peaked a month ago down here in La. I work full time during the week so I put the extra tomatoes in gallon ziplocs & froze them until I could process them later.

Today I took out a dozen tomatoes & thawed them, plus some late fresh ones we are still getting off the vine.

Lined a roasting pan with tin foil, laid the tomatoes out on it, added a bell pepper, two large carrots & 3 toes of garlic. Scattered a handful of basil leaves over the top, some salt & pepper & drizzled olive oil over all of it. Oiled & wrapped one large baking potato in foil & baked it at the same time.

Roasted all at 450 for 1 hr, then cooled down. The skins slipped right off of the tomatoes & bell pepper w/no problem.

Brought 1/2 quart of chicken broth & 1 can of tomato paste to a boil, then added the peeled & diced potato & simmered for 20 minutes.

Squeezed the roasted garlic out of the husks & added that.
Took the roasted carrots & bell pepper & tomatoes & pulsed them in a blender & added those in.

Added some worchestershire sauce, hot sauce, some cajun seasoning, a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar & a teaspoon of sugar, & some celery seed, brought back to a boil & back to another simmer for 20 minutes more.

We had some for lunch, brought some over to my folks' & froze the rest for later. Campbell's never made a tomato soup that tasted this good!

You can also use this as a base for a pasta sauce -- add a pinch of thyme & oregano to the roasted veggies.

I froze my extra tomatoes last year, on the advice of my MIL in Wisconsin, & they held their flavor very well for use later on. Even the cherry tomatoes.

I also froze whole Kadota figs off of our fig tree. I'll make those into jam for Christmas presents.

Just wanted to pass on the tip--if you dont' have time now, throw it into a ziploc bag & freeze it for later!

sounds good.

we live in central lousisiana and ours did the best this year over any other year. i had so many i put them in the freezer with out doing anything to them but slicing them, but i only did this for a week or two then took them and out and fixed my reciepe.
i made the mistake of doing that with another vegetable before from our first garden and learned you have to blanche your vegetables before freezing long term.
what i did was make homemade spaghetti sauce and salsa with ours and froze it so all i had to do was thaw and presto heat up while my meat was browning and noodles boiling.
my family loved it :)
my only regret is that i did not have my grandmothers homemade reciepe for spaghetti sauce, she was from Italy and made delicious sauce and meatballs :-( i ended up with my varation of homemade sauce after going to foodnetworks site and looking at paula deens reciepe and bobby flays and got ideas of what seasonings i wanted to use and how to do it based on both of there reciepes.

Wendy

Last edited:
Yes, Elly Mae-- freeze them whole. They will keep a couple of months like that -- I did it last year so I know it works. I dont' know how it would work for longer than that without processing them further. I was mostly trying to keep them until I can get to them on the days when I'm off work.

Hi Wendy; I'm from an Italian family also -- & I "cheat" on occasion by using Ragu 7-Herb & adding the roasted tomatoes to it. It WAS a good year for tomatoes this year!

I have my family recipe--will dig it up & PM it to you. I sort of watched & made notes, years ago.

Quote:
hey that is sweet for you to send it to me. i was to young to realize that i should have made notes. although my grandmother never measured things, she eyeballed and did the taste test.

where in La do you live?

wendy

I didn't plant any this year
sad.png
Feeling extra
sad.png
since that sounds sooooo yummy! Guess I'll have to go get some from the roadside stands
big_smile.png

Exactly what I was looking for! I only planted three tomato plants this year and yet I am being overrun with tomatoes!!

Do you just lay them out to freeze?

Would you be willing to send me that sauce recipe too or post it? I know you can skin them by roasting them, but how do you skin them if you're making them into sauce?

I am NOT Italian so I have an excuse for my ignorance !
wee.gif

Forgive me?

Back
Top Bottom