Homemade tomato soup/Freeze those extra tomatoes!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by TerriLaChicks, Aug 16, 2008.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Our garden peaked a month ago down here in La. I work full time during the week so I put the extra tomatoes in gallon ziplocs & froze them until I could process them later.

Today I took out a dozen tomatoes & thawed them, plus some late fresh ones we are still getting off the vine.

Lined a roasting pan with tin foil, laid the tomatoes out on it, added a bell pepper, two large carrots & 3 toes of garlic. Scattered a handful of basil leaves over the top, some salt & pepper & drizzled olive oil over all of it. Oiled & wrapped one large baking potato in foil & baked it at the same time.

Roasted all at 450 for 1 hr, then cooled down. The skins slipped right off of the tomatoes & bell pepper w/no problem.

Brought 1/2 quart of chicken broth & 1 can of tomato paste to a boil, then added the peeled & diced potato & simmered for 20 minutes.

Squeezed the roasted garlic out of the husks & added that.
    Took the roasted carrots & bell pepper & tomatoes & pulsed them in a blender & added those in.

Added some worchestershire sauce, hot sauce, some cajun seasoning, a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar & a teaspoon of sugar, & some celery seed, brought back to a boil & back to another simmer for 20 minutes more.

We had some for lunch, brought some over to my folks' & froze the rest for later. Campbell's never made a tomato soup that tasted this good!

You can also use this as a base for a pasta sauce -- add a pinch of thyme & oregano to the roasted veggies.

I froze my extra tomatoes last year, on the advice of my MIL in Wisconsin, & they held their flavor very well for use later on. Even the cherry tomatoes.

I also froze whole Kadota figs off of our fig tree. I'll make those into jam for Christmas presents.

Just wanted to pass on the tip--if you dont' have time now, throw it into a ziploc bag & freeze it for later!

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you mean you froze them whole?

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    sounds good.

we live in central lousisiana and ours did the best this year over any other year. i had so many i put them in the freezer with out doing anything to them but slicing them, but i only did this for a week or two then took them and out and fixed my reciepe.
    i made the mistake of doing that with another vegetable before from our first garden and learned you have to blanche your vegetables before freezing long term.
    what i did was make homemade spaghetti sauce and salsa with ours and froze it so all i had to do was thaw and presto heat up while my meat was browning and noodles boiling.
    my family loved it :)
    my only regret is that i did not have my grandmothers homemade reciepe for spaghetti sauce, she was from Italy and made delicious sauce and meatballs :-( i ended up with my varation of homemade sauce after going to foodnetworks site and looking at paula deens reciepe and bobby flays and got ideas of what seasonings i wanted to use and how to do it based on both of there reciepes.

Wendy

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  4. TerriLaChicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Yes, Elly Mae-- freeze them whole. They will keep a couple of months like that -- I did it last year so I know it works. I dont' know how it would work for longer than that without processing them further. I was mostly trying to keep them until I can get to them on the days when I'm off work.

Hi Wendy; I'm from an Italian family also -- & I "cheat" on occasion by using Ragu 7-Herb & adding the roasted tomatoes to it. It WAS a good year for tomatoes this year!

I have my family recipe--will dig it up & PM it to you. I sort of watched & made notes, years ago.

5. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:hey that is sweet for you to send it to me. i was to young to realize that i should have made notes. although my grandmother never measured things, she eyeballed and did the taste test.

where in La do you live?

wendy

6. TerriLaChicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Wendy I sent you the recipe but I cant' tell if it went through or not. let me know! terri I can post it here too if anybody else would like to peruse it..

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I didn't plant any this year [​IMG] Feeling extra [​IMG] since that sounds sooooo yummy! Guess I'll have to go get some from the roadside stands [​IMG]

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Exactly what I was looking for! I only planted three tomato plants this year and yet I am being overrun with tomatoes!!

Do you just lay them out to freeze?

Would you be willing to send me that sauce recipe too or post it? I know you can skin them by roasting them, but how do you skin them if you're making them into sauce?

I am NOT Italian so I have an excuse for my ignorance ! [​IMG]

Forgive me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by