Homemade Verm-X (and natural chicken ways?)

Pics

RubyLady

Songster
Jun 21, 2021
This is NOT intended as a recommendation or medical advice at all, but I thought I'd share what I did for my chickens and why. I thought one might be developing gapeworm, and while the one local vet is not taking any more patients, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I read up a lot on these forums and online and talked to some folks at the feed store and Tractor Supply. I checked my chicken's throat, seemed fine, although it was not easy and she was not happy. I'm used to bathing and pilling cats. I've never tried to open a chicken's mouth before. LOL I checked for mites (nope) and their poop looked fine.

I did buy some Safeguard paste but then read up on Verm-X. She didn't look that bad, some mouth breathing and I thought she gaped once and shook her head a little and I know she eats snails; I just wanted to keep her healthy. So I decided to go with prevention since I don't think she has an actual case of worms. She is my largest chicken and it has been hot, and just after I got home with the Safeguard, she foraged in a pile of leaves happily with the others in the cooler part of the day so I calmed down.

Now I see some folks here are okay with plant medicines and some not so much, so I'll just throw this out there: there are plants and minerals that act as vermifuges/anthelminics. That's usually where compounds are isolated and then synthesized into the chemical medicines we use today. I am a firm believer that if you (or your animals) need western/chemical medicine definitely use it!

But I will also say that I have seen (as a trained herbalist and forager) plant medicine (properly prepared) work as well as any western medicine. That said, NO MEDICINE WORKS 100% OF THE TIME. Neither western, eastern, chemical or plant based.

I read the ingredients of Verm-X and realized I had a lot of it already on hand. I can't find my bag of dried cleavers so that will be added when I can, I added some DE and ground pumpkin seeds, and I did read nasturtiums also help and I had some growing so I added a bit fresh. I made a powder and then, using a bit of bacon grease, made little treats for my four ladies. Only one went for the treats. Not the one I was aiming for, so today I gave them some banana sprinkled with a little of the powder, and I sprayed their feed with a fine water mist just to get it to stick and put a little homemade verm-X on their feed. They ate it up.

I can't say it will solve all problems, but it can't hurt and they are all vermifuges or nutritional supports, so I'll add it occasionally to their feed. And I still have the tube of Safeguard paste just in case. I think Verm-X is a liquid, but I decided not to make an infusion or decoction and use dried as a liquid would not be stable for long even in the fridge.

Has anyone else done this? I'm curious about your natural chicken ways!

IMG-0734.JPG

Have you asked your vet if they will test some fresh poop that you collect and bring in... Without bringing birds in?

Have you asked your vet if they will test some fresh poop that you collect and bring in... Without bringing birds in?
Yeah, they said they'd have to accept them as patients to do anything for me, even just prescibe something over the phone.

Is Verm-X a de-wormer?
I would say, based on my knowledge of plants and their properties, that it's likely more useful as a preventative. Most of the ingredients listed are known antihelmintics - they expel worms and their eggs. Mainly they do this by assisting the body's natural defenses in making an inhospitable environment as oppsed to outright killing them. That said, some of those ingredients also do kill certain tyoes of worms, mostly intestinal worms. Verm-X proper, as sold on Amazon and other places, does claim to be a dewormer. Personally, I think a serious case would not respond to Verm-X or my herbal concoction in eliminating all worms. This is why I think it could well be used as a nutritional and antihelmintic treatment to prevent infestation and control a very minor one.

Do you know what determines a serious case of worms? One worm is one worm too many. One female large roundworm can lay as many as 200,000 eggs a day contaminating the soil where your birds forage. Birds peck the soil all the time, in doing so they swallow worm eggs starting the worms lifecycle all over again.
VermX is a waste of money. The worms must be eliminated using chemicals and depending on soil conditions, may require monthly treatments.

Back
Top Bottom